Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dowload with wget in crontab -e

Beans

Exclamation dowload with wget in crontab -e

Hy everyone i want to ask something, i used cron to download linux image and make it as schedule.

so i was had plan to make a schedule to downloading on 21:30 and in days 25,26,27 and month on june

Like this :

30 21 25,26,27 6 * wget -c http://kambing.ui.ac.id/iso/fedora/1...x86_64-DVD.iso /home/jefri

but it doesn't work by far, since in beginning i've tried..!!

Would anyone to help me..!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

rsync?

Do they have an rsync version available? That would allow downloading in full only once and the downloading only the changes, if there are any, on subsequent tries.

The crontab entry looks ok as far as I can tell. Maybe you should try wrapping wget in a script and calling the script. Sometimes that helps.

Beans

Re: dowload with wget in crontab -e

Whose crontab is this in? jefri's? (That is, /var/spool/cron/jefri usually created with crontab -e.)

Usually it's preferred to use full paths in crontabs, e.g., /usr/bin/wget rather than just wget, but I doubt that is the problem here.

However you might be encountering this problem as described in the manual page for wget:

Beginning with Wget 1.7, if you use -c on a non-empty file, and it turns out that the
    server does not support continued downloading, Wget will refuse to start the download from
    scratch, which would effectively ruin existing contents. If you really want the download
    to start from scratch, remove the file.

See if it works without the "-c" parameter.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

thanks alot for Lars Noodén & SeijiSensei :

My ideas was just trying wget to downloading an iso file but in a schedule, or i can say it will downloading automatically..!!

but last night i think the wget script was on working..!

i used this 30 21 25,26,27 6 * wget -c http://kambing.ui.ac.id/iso/fedora/1...x86_64-DVD.iso and it was done to download

but the file just put in of the root directory, but if i only used wget and not using crontab at once like this wget -c http://kambing.ui.ac.id/iso/fedora/1...x86_64-DVD.iso /home/jefri.. The iso file has been in /home/jefri directory..!! but by using crontab it was nothing in there..!

all i wanted is just about i want to do downloading files no matter what it is, by using crontab -e..

and if downloading is done, files should be in /home/jefri directory..!!

but thanks alot guys..!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Support thread.

Thread moved to General Help.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Use this command instead:

Code:
    cd /home/jefri; wget ...
    This will run the wget command from the /home/jefri directory.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If you do
    Code:
    man wget
    You can then see the syntax for wget. One option when downloading just one file could be
    Code:
    wget -O <output-file> <URL>
    What you did was telling wget to first download your iso file and then download from the url /home/jefri which should give the error "scheme missing".
    That is with wget you do
    Code:
    wget <URL1> <URL2> .. <URLN>
    To download multiple urls.

Hope this makes sense

Beans

guys it's not working to use this..!!

cd /home/jefri; wget -c http://kambing.ui.ac.id/iso/fedora/1...x86_64-DVD.iso

Beans

ALSO IT'S NOT WORKING AS USED THIS..!!

34 10 2,3 7 * cd /jefri wget -c http://kambing.ui.ac.id/iso/backtrac...3-GNOME-32.iso

Beans

The second one won't work because it is missing a semicolon between the commands. Plus there won't be a /jefri folder unless you created it as root.

Now can you please say more specifically what you mean when you say it isn't working?

Why are you continuing to use the "-c" switch when I specifically pointed out earlier that it may be the source of the problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast