Thread: Editing .bashrc

Beans

Editing .bashrc

I was trying to install pythonbrew so I could stream line my python installations and prevent errors way beyond my understanding. I couldn't finish the process and because I don't know how to edit the .bashrc file to add
    Code:
    [[ -s $HOME/.pythonbrew/etc/bashrc ]] && source $HOME/.pythonbrew/etc/bashrc
    Needless to say, copy paste didn't work. Is there an into to editing that file. I can open the file with vim.
    Code:
    vim .bashrc
    If this isn't the correct forum section. Anyone mind pointing me in the right direction. Also, I'm new to all this, It would great if the answers were geared towards a beginer.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Editing .bashrc

You likely would have got a quicker reply in the 'General' or 'Absolute Beginner' section

You can use any text editor - if you are in the standard Ubuntu desktop then use gedit - either as

Code:
    gedit ~/.bashrc
    from a terminal or by opening the editor from the dash and navigating to the file after turning on 'show hidden files' in the file selection dialog (with ctrl-h)

If you are in a CLI environment then you will probably find nano easier than vi

Code:
    nano ~/.bashrc
    FYI, to paste from the X buffer into vim you can hit the 'i' key (to get into insert mode) then do a mouse middle-click, then ESC to get out of insert mode and :wq (write and quit)

Beans

Re: Editing .bashrc

I know it's been a while, but thank you. The suggestions worked. It was very much human error on my part.

Thanks