Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Desktop

No Desktop

My desktop has disappeared. What can I do to get it back? Removing the desktop and reinstalling it does not work.
    Last edited by Sef; July 2nd, 2013 at 02:57 AM.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: No Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    My desktop has disappeared. What can I do to get it back? Removing the desktop and reinstalling it does not work.
    Same here on a new, fresh install after updates. I just went to terminal (alt+ctrl+F1) and :

sudo service lightdm restart

and I was able to log in.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

After the upgrade to the 3.10 kernel, I got an error message stating there was an error compiling the Nvidia 310 driver, I purged the Nvidia drivers, and am currently running nouveau, with apparently very little problem, although I did get a hard lockup about ½ an hour ago, I was running Chromium, Thunderbird, Synaptic, Digikam, Qbittorrent and Gimp. so it could have been any one of them that caused it.

Beans

Re: nvidia & 3.10 kernel, nvidia-319 should be fine, others likely haven't been updated yet (those that will
    If not above then maybe some logs (unless 'no desktop' means a background that can't be acted on, then enable file manager handling the Desktop in dconf

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

+1 to what mc4man said, I installed nvidia-319, and everything is ok.

Code:
    cariboo@alexis:~$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p -f
    OpenGL vendor string:   NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2
    OpenGL version string:  3.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32

Not software rendered:    yes
    Not blacklisted:          yes
    GLX fbconfig:             yes
    GLX texture from pixmap:  yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program:        yes
    GL fragment program:      yes
    GL vertex buffer object:  yes
    GL framebuffer object:    yes
    GL version is 1.4+:       yes

Unity 3D supported:       yes

Beans

Re: nvidia-319 & 3.10 kernel

Before returning to nouveau did notice here that the 3.10/319 combo has awfult restarts, could be local , hopefully not an issue with 3.10/nouveau

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Same here on a new, fresh install after updates
    For me yesterday's daily image would not install. Ubiquity crashed in the three ways of installing. Also with yesterday's Kubuntu image.

If we only get the background wallpaper then right click select Change Desktop Background and we are at System Settings. I assume that we know how to get to Additional Drivers from there.

I often give that advice out in the wilds of the forum.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    For me yesterday's daily image would not install. Ubiquity crashed in the three ways of installing. Also with yesterday's Kubuntu image.

If we only get the background wallpaper then right click select Change Desktop Background and we are at System Settings. I assume that we know how to get to Additional Drivers from there.

I often give that advice out in the wilds of the forum.

Regards.
    I used an earlier .iso of saucy that was working and updated/dist-upgrade. I'll have to zsync that and see whats up with the daily.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I used an earlier .iso of saucy that was working and updated/dist-upgrade. I'll have to zsync that and see whats up with the daily.
    Today' image has the same problem. Ubiquity crashes BrokenPipeError in command (): ] Err no32] Broken Pipe.

It is a pity. I was going to put in an install of all the flavours and set them up on Xmir just to prove it could be done. There is a video somewhere showing it working on all the flavours. I thought it might be interesting to see how they develop. Kubuntu devs have already decided to stick with Wayland. I wonder how long they will have to wait? I think the Ubuntu Studio will be interesting to watch. The devs there are going to give users the option of choosing which User Interface to choose at log in. I am curious as to how that will work on Xmir.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; June 29th, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Today' image has the same problem. Ubiquity crashes BrokenPipeError in command (): ] Err no32] Broken Pipe.

It is a pity. I was going to put in an install of all the flavours and set them up on Xmir just to prove it could be done. There is a video somewhere showing it working on all the flavours. I thought it might be interesting to see how they develop. Kubuntu devs have already decided to stick with Wayland. I wonder how long they will have to wait? I think the Ubuntu Studio will be interesting to watch. The devs there are going to give users the option of choosing which User Interface to choose at log in. I am curious as to how that will work on Xmir.
    I have 2 installs one KDE & Gnome-Shell
    But Yes I noticed that KDE pulled wayland in, did not notice it on Gnome-Shell though?
    But everything is going real smooth here with all updates.
    Kernel 3.10-rc7 & Nividia 319.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast