Thread: Creating a UI in front of the Ubuntu desktop environment help ?

Beans

Creating a UI in front of the Ubuntu desktop environment help ?

Hello i am an Ubuntu user myself and was in dire need of asking this question but how can i create a New User Interface in Ubuntu. Mabye an Application.How would i be able to build an Application where i can modify and create a nice,clean UI with functions from Buttons and stuff similar to that.Think of Visual Basic,maybe a program like that.Or would i have to get into learning a hardcore programming language.I don't want to say why i am asking this question because there could be people saying cr@p and giving me @buse about my project.Anyways thank you if you have replied with a positive answer.

If you require more information feel free to request it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Creating a UI in front of the Ubuntu desktop environment help ?

Hi SixCoreStudios. Welcome to the forum

Start here: Ubuntu app developer.

Regards.

Beans

Do you have a video showing how this toolkit functions.I have tried YouTube but haven't found anything related? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Don't take this as being critical, but the fact that the programming language you mention, Visual Basic, is most closely associated with MS Windows implies that you have little or no familiarity with programming for other environments.

Your best bet would probably be to visit the programming forum here and see what tools and languages the folks are using.

Also, UI programming is a LOT more complicated than cranking out some VB scripts. You will need to hunt down specific guides on UI programming -- ones oriented to doing that in a Linux environment, not Windows.

I've provided a link to information on Unity development -- so you can get an idea of what you're getting into. You should read through it: http://unity.ubuntu.com/getinvolved/development/unity/
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SixCoreStudios View Post
    I don't want to say why i am asking this question because there could be people saying cr@p and giving me @buse about my project.Anyways thank you if you have replied with a positive answer.
    I hope that wouldn't be the case in this forum.

Just want to make sure you're aware of a couple other options that may or may not fit your undisclosed purposes.

There are many alternative Desktop Environments that can be easily installed in Ubuntu, many of them with different themes that change the appearance of elements of the DE.

Also, you could build a custom DE on something like OpenBox, which would still eliminate the need for programming.

Again, I have no idea if that's helpful, because I don't know what you're trying to accomplish.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!