Thread: Sound Profile

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sound Profile

I have Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 13.04 installed on two different partitions of the same computer.
    When I open the sound settings i find the Hardware tab missing in 13.04 and there is just one profile in there. Kindly check the attached pics.
    How can i add more profiles and the hardware tab in 13.04 ?U-13.04.pngU-12.04.png
    It helps me controlling the sound recording and output etc.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Sound Profile

Any advise from any one ?

Beans
    Distro

I need help. Can any one give any advise !

Beans

Things change -
    You may find what you want in pavucontrol
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
    Then open pavucontrol & look under "Configuration" tab

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Things change -
    You may find what you want in pavucontrol
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
    Then open pavucontrol & look under "Configuration" tab
    Thanx for your reply. I would like to inform you that in my Ubuntu 12.04 pavucontrol is not installed but i am still geting all those options but not in 13.04. So what is missing in 13.04 and how can i find out ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    Thanx for your reply. I would like to inform you that in my Ubuntu 12.04 pavucontrol is not installed but i am still geting all those options but not in 13.04. So what is missing in 13.04 and how can i find out ?
    As I said - things change
    If you tried pavucontrol & it doesn't provide what you want then you could look into the sound settings panel provided in a gnome session vs. the one in a unity/ubuntu session, myself can't be bothered as pavucontrol provides all I need & more
    (have switched "Sound Settings" in the sound indicator to use pavucontrol here instead of unity/ubuntu's panel

Beans
    Distro

Yes it does solve the problem.
    But for screen video capture, if i use record my desktop then it works well but i am still not able to figure out why it is not working with command line. where as it works well with Ubuntu 12.04
    I use the command :
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 30 -s 700x500 -i :0.0+170,150 ~/output.m4v
    It records the video but captures sound from inbuilt mic not from the sound card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

This is from the ffmpeg package description is synaptic 13.04, but I don't know if it is a factor in your case

This package contains the deprecated ffmpeg program. This package also serves
    as a transitional package to libav-tools. Users are advised to use avconv from
    the libav-tools package instead of ffmpeg.

You might get one when installing the other, but I can't verify that without installing the packages. See this thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2148736
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; July 1st, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    Yes it does solve the problem.
    But for screen video capture, if i use record my desktop then it works well but i am still not able to figure out why it is not working with command line. where as it works well with Ubuntu 12.04
    I use the command :
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 30 -s 700x500 -i :0.0+170,150 ~/output.m4v
    It records the video but captures sound from inbuilt mic not from the sound card.
    Take a look here, you need to do a one time setup so that it uses the 'monitor of...' when using ffmpeg for screen caps with sound
    (one of the reasons I switched the sound indicator to use pavucontrol by default in Ubuntu
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12703878

Beans

I would also like to know if there is a way of making the hardware tab appear, because so far everything that I've tried has failed. Every piece of info I come across as far as making the echo from my mic vanish depends on that tab already being present from what I can tell. Oh by the way pavucontrol has had no success for me. I would really like to avoid whipping out my killdisk cd and preparing an hdd for a full reinstall of win7 to fix the problem.

I have sound working. I can shake the floor upstairs if I turn up the volume high enough and in the other tabs that display my sound card it shows up just fine, but that hardware tab is about as present as an electric car in the Black Forest. I'm hoping there is some way to target that tab specifically and make it show up.