Thread: How/where do you install an executable from .tgz

Beans

How/where do you install an executable from .tgz

I downloaded two programs (Paraview and gmsh) and am trying to install them manually since the vesions in the repositories for Ubuntu 12.04 are outdated. I have estracted the folders to Desktop. In each program's folder there are several subfolders but no installation instructions, ./configure, or makefile. In /bin there is an executable to run each program directly from the folder. I would like to install them so I can run them from the application menu or the command line though. How to I do this and where should I installl them to? Thanks in advance forthe help.

Beans

Re: How/where do you install an executable from .tgz

You unzip

tar -zxvf program.tar.gz
    tar -zjvf program.tar.bz2

You cd into the extracted folder

then

./configure
    make
    sudo make install

And you should be ready to roll.

And where to install it - that's automatically done for you, unless you want it somewhere specific which you have to specify.
    If you are looking for a programs folder, try

whereis programname
    - In the Service of General Cuckoo -

Beans

For gmsh: probably better off to activate the PPA. See https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gmsh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    For gmsh: probably better off to activate the PPA. See https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gmsh
    +1 to this. There's also a PPA of paraview available. It's from an individual, but they do seem to be a contributor to gmsh.

In general the solution to the repos being out of date isn't to install software from a tarball. Doing so means you're stepping outside the package manager, which is a bad idea. It can lead to problems with stability and security. You're much better off using a PPA, 3rd party repository, or a .deb file, all of which install through the package manager and don't break the dependency system on your machine.
    Last edited by Paqman; June 28th, 2013 at 06:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

backports

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    +1 to this. There's also a PPA of paraview available. It's from an individual, but they do seem to be a contributor to gmsh.

In general the solution to the repos being out of date isn't to install software from a tarball. Doing so means you're stepping outside the package manager, which is a bad idea. It can lead to problems with stability and security. You're much better off using a PPA, 3rd party repository, or a .deb file, all of which install through the package manager and don't break the dependency system on your machine.
    +1 to the +1

A step in between the PPA and the standard 12.04 repository would be the backports repository. Depending on the application, there may be updates available from there.