Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

Thumbs down Bye Bye Ubuntu

For years I have been a great proponent of Ubuntu, but after this last release, and the hundreds of MB of updates over the past few weeks, I am uninstalling every instance of Ubuntu and moving over to Mint.
    Just today my computer has crashed 4 times, my UI keeps dissapearing, I have spent about a third of my time over the last 3 months re-installing or repairing whatever this is that my beloved Ubuntu has become.

I am done with you! You are dead to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Bye Bye Ubuntu

You want stable Ubuntu? Stick to the LTS releases. I've been using Ubuntu (now Xubuntu) off and on since 8.04 and the other releases have never been stable. I've only used LTS's and I rarely ever have any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You haven't been very Ubuntu since you haven't been supporting others very well.
    Have fun else where.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by neruson View Post
    You want stable Ubuntu? Stick to the LTS releases. I've been using Ubuntu (now Xubuntu) off and on since 8.04 and the other releases have never been stable. I've only used LTS's and I rarely ever have any problems.
    not true in my experience. 10.10 was better than 10.04, 13.04 is by far the best IMO

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    not true in my experience. 10.10 was better than 10.04, 13.04 is by far the best IMO
    Well, it all depends on hardware really. I skipped 10.10 entirely, so I can't comment on that release (I usually play with transitional releases in VirtualBox). At the time, I just wanted to keep my beloved Gnome 2 as long as I could

13.04 would have been a phenomenal release if it weren't for the default kernel problems. True, it's an easy fix but it should never have been released with that buggy kernel in the first place. My personal rating of that release took a major hit with that screw up. I wish Ubuntu would do what Fedora does with their releases ie. delay until major bugs are fixed (at least for the LTS's!!!). Canonical's devotion to their release schedule really seems to screw things up for them, and more importantly, end users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

13.04 would have been a phenomenal release if it weren't for the default kernel problems.
    Yeah, that's annoying. A lot of people will never fix it, but just walk away. You see that from all the kernel panic images still being posted.

Oddly, Mint 15 and other derivatives released with the same kernel and their users, of course, saw the same problem.
    Last edited by Sef; June 29th, 2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: fixed quotes

Beans

Well, it all depends on hardware really. I skipped 10.10 entirely, so I can't comment on that release (I usually play with transitional releases in VirtualBox). At the time, I just wanted to keep my beloved Gnome 2 as long as I could

13.04 would have been a phenomenal release if it weren't for the default kernel problems. True, it's an easy fix but it should never have been released with that buggy kernel in the first place. My personal rating of that release took a major hit with that screw up. I wish Ubuntu would do what Fedora does with their releases ie. delay until major bugs are fixed (at least for the LTS's!!!). Canonical's devotion to their release schedule really seems to screw things up for them, and more importantly, end users.
    Can you write more about this kernel bug in 13.04? What is wrong with it? I'm affraid of trying never than 12.04 because i had problems with 12.10 (my graphic drivers, screen resolution under Unity and so on)...

Beans
    Distro

The bug appears when you reboot, you'll get a kernel panic and it won't boot the OS, but other times it works fine (the bug is most likely due to half @ssed testing). The bug only exists within the default patched Ubuntu kernel, but it's pretty easy to remove the buggy, patched Ubuntu kernel with the vanilla kernel via Synaptic.

As far as stability in 12.04 I can only really speak of Xubuntu. With 8.04 & 10.04 I used classic Gnome 2. I played around with Unity in 12.04 for a few months - didn't really have any major problems with it at all running Nvidia 3.10 driver (maybe you have hardware incompatibilities? - Personally, I build my desktops with dual booting Linux & Windows in mind), but eventually moved onto Xubuntu after deciding Unity just wasn't what I was looking for in a desktop OS.

Beans

Ekhem, i use LTS (12.04) and i still have problems only related to this distribution. For an exmaples: i can't use other kernels and newer driver for nvidia card exept the older one, 295.40 because if i use never driver, or the same with newer kernel, my resolution is divided among two LCD screens, while in fact, i have only one - flat 22 inch LCD - and resolution is set : 1024x768 for "fake detected CRT" and rest for real LCD screen. Can't use system with this bug because i have constantly to kill xorg or login screen and prey that it would boot with detected only one screen with proper resolution 1680x1050. This problem is not happening on older driver, 295.40 with old kernel, and on open source driver, nouveau. Why this is happening all the time? Don't know - it is only on Ubuntu, all versions. Don't have problems like that with Mint, Slackware, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Arch and other distros that i tried.

Second? Well, it is something from this day. I did apt-get update, and apt-get upgrade, after that there is missing one thing in firefox: globalmenu, that could be disabled or enabled. Here is the one from my laptop, that is not being updated, and here it is:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22/tyzk.png/

and on my desktop, globalmenu is missing. Even when i install it manually, it is not being shown in firefox. If i remove it by synaptic, or apt-get, global menu still works, and i can't use firefox because if i use tab, stored links in added folder to a bookamarks, all Unity frozes, causes all my system to stop, and after some time it still runs ok, but i can't enter folder in bookmarks in firefox.

As a matter of fact, i like Ubuntu, but i have never had so much bugs, problems with any other distro. I like it, that is why i still use it, but today update has cause something that i can't work with, and i can't use system because whenever i want to select link from bookmarks, my system stops, froze Unity with it...

What is most strange to me that other distros, like Mint, Kubuntu, are all "ubuntu based" and i don't have problems with them. I have Acer AOD 270 - using ubuntu on it causes my lcd screen to lose it brightness setup after reboot, i have to boot "without" being able to see something, have to log into gui, than choose brightness and set it up again, on Kubuntu, Mint i don't have this behaviour...the remember my brightness set up, and doesen't switch off my lcd screen on AOD...after reboot...
    Last edited by firekage; June 29th, 2013 at 01:15 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by donwildman View Post
    For years I have been a great proponent of Ubuntu, but after this last release, and the hundreds of MB of updates over the past few weeks, I am uninstalling every instance of Ubuntu and moving over to Mint.
    Just today my computer has crashed 4 times, my UI keeps dissapearing, I have spent about a third of my time over the last 3 months re-installing or repairing whatever this is that my beloved Ubuntu has become.

I am done with you! You are dead to me.
    Mint is Ubuntu but a different UI, Move to Debian if you don't want to have anything to do with Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast