Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Ubuntu

Beans

Thumbs down Bye Bye Ubuntu

For years I have been a great proponent of Ubuntu, but after this last release, and the hundreds of MB of updates over the past few weeks, I am uninstalling every instance of Ubuntu and moving over to Mint.
    Just today my computer has crashed 4 times, my UI keeps dissapearing, I have spent about a third of my time over the last 3 months re-installing or repairing whatever this is that my beloved Ubuntu has become.

I am done with you! You are dead to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Bye Bye Ubuntu

You want stable Ubuntu? Stick to the LTS releases. I've been using Ubuntu (now Xubuntu) off and on since 8.04 and the other releases have never been stable. I've only used LTS's and I rarely ever have any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You haven't been very Ubuntu since you haven't been supporting others very well.
    Have fun else where.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by donwildman View Post
    For years I have been a great proponent of Ubuntu, but after this last release, and the hundreds of MB of updates over the past few weeks, I am uninstalling every instance of Ubuntu and moving over to Mint.
    Just today my computer has crashed 4 times, my UI keeps dissapearing, I have spent about a third of my time over the last 3 months re-installing or repairing whatever this is that my beloved Ubuntu has become.

I am done with you! You are dead to me.
    Mint is Ubuntu but a different UI, Move to Debian if you don't want to have anything to do with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

..neruson is right...the transition release that are in between long term support version are for testing and are being use by those who wanr to help the devs...use an lts version like 12.04

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by neruson View Post
    You want stable Ubuntu? Stick to the LTS releases. I've been using Ubuntu (now Xubuntu) off and on since 8.04 and the other releases have never been stable. I've only used LTS's and I rarely ever have any problems.
    not true in my experience. 10.10 was better than 10.04, 13.04 is by far the best IMO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If your computer is crashing you probably have a hardware problem.
    Do a memory check.
    I'm running 12.10 and have had no problems at all.

Beans

I've just come back to Ubuntu after a period away and now dual-boot with Win 8. I have to say that I'm not impressed. Win 8 boots faster, loads applications faster and everything works. Ubuntu is slow and I have issues with the touchpad not being detected on my laptop (tried everything I can find) and the sound being crackly and tinny. I can get it to work sometimes but, to be honest, I've given up. I used to love Ubuntu but it feels dated and still far from an acceptable replacement for Windows.

I actually regret the effort it took to get the damn thing installed. I wish I hadn't bothered now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

After all these years this is your first post? Without even trying or asking for help?
    I'm thinking about it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It sounds as if your hardware, which you don't even mention, is simply not playing nice with ubuntu. My custom built machine, built with ubuntu in mind and no windows installed on it, has never let me down at all, and I was lucky with the hardware of my previous desktop machine which was also fully compatible when I first started using Ubuntu at version 5.04 or 5.10, I can't remember which.

I am using Xubuntu 12.04, updated with several ppa repos (for xfce 4.10, gimp 2.8, libreoffice 4.0.4, Intel video driver) and the system is more stable than anything I have ever used before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast