Thread: New Server Build

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New Server Build

Quote Originally Posted by samkarpluk View Post
    Hi rubylaser. To answer some of your questions here:

I used mdadm for the raid 5 implementation.
    RAID5 should be fine for only 3 disks. If you add more, I would say go with RAID6, even though you lose two disks for parity vs one disk with RAID5.

Backup mechanism? We don't need no stinkin' backups do we?...

Just kidding. I have some old internal drives sitting around (500 GB and 1 TB) as well as a 1 TB WD My Book. I was thinking of getting an enclosure for my spares and rotate a backup (i.e. leave one at work). I have under 500 GB of user data (music and photos are the most important items here). I do need to get an offsite backup solution in place for this data. I hooked the WD My Book up yesterday and it wasn't recognized at all. Didn't even power up. Not sure what the deal is there.
    I have been using Seagate external drives for backups via USB3 and they have worked fine so far. My backup scheme (?) is:

Daily incremental via hard links + rsync.
    Monthly incremental via hard links + rsync
    Monthly full backups via rsync
    Monthly "offsite" backups via rsync (They don't really go offsite any more. I've thought about storing them at work, but I don't trust people not to go "Oh look a hard drive!" and use it when Windows says it is unformatted...).
    CrashPlan which backs up files every 15 minutes to "the cloud" - The plan I have isn't free, but the backups are encrypted with a strong key, so I don't think think security is a problem. That solution depends on your internet connection and how much you trust the party who is storing your backups.

As far as the WD MyBook not powering up, it could be a bad power block, or the drive could be dead. Do you have a spare power brick that has the same volts/amps around that you could try?

Smartmon tools, not yet. It's on the list.
    Good. You might want to read this thread. It's one of mine, and kinda shows some of the issues SMART has, but don't dismiss SMART completely.

UPS: haven't thought about this but it would be a good idea. Recommendations?
    I use APC UPSes mostly cuz I trust them (and they are dead simple to configure apcupsd for). I know some people who use Cyberpower and say they work fine, and if I remember right they do have management software for *nix.

I just prefer APC but I think that is mostly due to brand recognition.

Email Notifications: I have set this up but I have to look into a schedule for this, i.e. cron.
    Cron works wonders. I use it to run the scripts I have written up. Makes getting notifications very easy.

Disk spin down? No. How is this accomplished?
    Check our rubylaser's blog: http://zackreed.me/ There are a ton of howtos there.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi rubylaser. To answer some of your questions here:

I used mdadm for the raid 5 implementation.

Backup mechanism? We don't need no stinkin' backups do we?...

Just kidding. I have some old internal drives sitting around (500 GB and 1 TB) as well as a 1 TB WD My Book. I was thinking of getting an enclosure for my spares and rotate a backup (i.e. leave one at work). I have under 500 GB of user data (music and photos are the most important items here). I do need to get an offsite backup solution in place for this data. I hooked the WD My Book up yesterday and it wasn't recognized at all. Didn't even power up. Not sure what the deal is there.

Smartmon tools, not yet. It's on the list.

UPS: haven't thought about this but it would be a good idea. Recommendations?

Email Notifications: I have set this up but I have to look into a schedule for this, i.e. cron.

Disk spin down? No. How is this accomplished?

Questions? I have many. There are a few above.
    Edit: Charles got in ahead of me, but I'll leave this for my thoughts.

mdadm will work great, and you do want backups I backup my really important stuff in a few places
    1. I have (2) encrypted hard drives that I backup two and rotate to work and my parent's house monthly.
    2. I do a nightly rsync to my colocated fileserver at the datacenter.
    3. I also do a incremental tar backup to Amazon Glacier (this costs less than $2/month)

I cover all of the rest of things things in tutorials that I have on my site, for example, smartmontools.

In regards to a UPS, there are lots of good brands. Personally, I use APC at home. They are very well supported by both apcupsd and NUT. Here are a few UPS tutorials I have on my site.

For email, I typically just setup ssmtp and use my Gmail account to send system emails from home. This will also allow mdadm to send you emails if your array is degraded. This is the most common point of failure for most new mdadm users. They don't set up email alerts, and never know that a disk has failed until the second disk fails and their data is lost.

Finally, here's how I spindown hard drives (the disks do have to support the Advanced Power Management for this to work).
    Last edited by rubylaser; July 8th, 2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: quick draw CharlesA beat me to the punch :)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rubylaser View Post
    For email, I typically just setup ssmtp and use my Gmail account to send system emails from home. This will also allow mdadm to send you emails if your array is degraded. This is the most common point of failure for most new mdadm users. They don't set up email alerts, and never know that a disk has failed until the second disk fails and their data is lost.
    I use a similar setup for my emails at home. The only difference is I use postfix to send to gmail via smarthost relay.

I really should write up a howto on it for Ubuntu/Debian, but I haven't bothered (yet) >.>

I do have a howto for it on CentOS/Fedora though, so that might help even if the commands are different (and the location of smtp_tls_CAfile is different):
    http://charlesa.net/tutorials/centos...lay-centos.php
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Fantastic Thread congrats on getting your server up and running looks like you have done a good job what were some of the tutorials / guides you used I am interested in learning more not really sure where to start.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    Fantastic Thread congrats on getting your server up and running looks like you have done a good job what were some of the tutorials / guides you used I am interested in learning more not really sure where to start.
    I did a lot of reading prior to doing my initial install. Plus I did a couple of test installs, first on a virtual box and then on an old laptop I had kicking around (a really old laptop).

However, here are some of the tutorials I followed:

Raid (mdadm):

Samba:

AFP:

Plex:

Logitech Media Server:

Beans
    Distro

That Fractal Design case looks nice and sleek.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2Stoned View Post
    That Fractal Design case looks nice and sleek.
    I'm very pleased with it. It's quiet, has 2 USB 3 ports on the front for easy access, and a small footprint. Not sure about the power draw of my setup. I will have to test that at some point. I do plan on looking at spinning down the raid drives as per some of the comments at the top of this thread.

Beans
    Distro

I'm very pleased with it.
    I would be too How much did it cost if i may ask?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2Stoned View Post
    I would be too How much did it cost if i may ask?
    The case itself was $90.00 Canadian.

My build was 1000.00. That was all in (see original post for specs) and included assembly and 1 year warranty.

Beans
    Distro

The case itself was $90.00 Canadian.

My build was 1000.00. That was all in (see original post for specs) and included assembly and 1 year warranty.
    $90 canadian dollars is around €67 I might order one as well..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12