Thread: how can I turn my desktop into a gif?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Arrow how can I turn my desktop into a gif?

how can I record my desktop and then turn it into a gif?
    I want to make something like these: http://i.stack.imgur.com/WaYDU.gif and http://i.stack.imgur.com/fgTGz.gif
    but I want to use zoom for somethings and then zoomout and stuff like that
    I have never recorded anything or made a gif or done anything like this before
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/10666...en-you-click-i this is where I found it from
    Last edited by TooFreppaT; June 28th, 2013 at 12:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: how can I turn my desktop into a gif?

Moved to Multimedia & Video.

Have a look at this link for instructions.

Beans

There is a setting within Gimp that allows you to get a screenshot of various dimensions. Easy then to export the image in whatever format you wish...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Moved to Multimedia & Video.

Have a look at this link for instructions.
    I followed those instructions but couldn't zoom in, this is the code I used to crop the images before converting them to .gif but you only have to change the extensions to do it afterwards.
    Code:
    convert *.jpg -crop widthxheight+padding-left+padding-top *.jpg
    I used this on a directory with a single image and processed my images one at a time.......lol, but it did what I wanted it to do, it changes the file without generating an output instead it just replaces the file cleanly.
    I did try removing the first *.jpg for cropping multiple files at once but for some reason I always ended up with one less cropped image compared with the originals, it produces a separate output file for each and renames them all to the last one which wasn't what I wanted it to happen.......I could be mistaken because I did try a number of combinations before settling with for what I put in the codebox.

I found this informations by following a link on Looking for mass cropping software to imagemagick.org how to crop (using the -crop parameter).

See also:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If I'm understanding correctly, that you are trying to crop a number of files simultaneously, try a command like this:
    Code:
    for file in *.jpg; do convert -crop widthxheight+padding-left+padding-top "$file"; done
    ...just make sure to replace widthxheight, padding-left, and padding-top with actual values

It will cycle through all of the jpg files one at a time, perform the crop operation overwritting the file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think you should use mogrify for these things. It's a part of ImageMagick and comes with convert (and uses the same syntax, so most things you read in the convert guides will work with mogrify), but is designed to modify files in-place rather than writing to a separate output file.

Code:
    mogrify -crop widthxheight+padding-left+padding-top ./*.jpg
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.

Beans

While mogrify is useful, be sure to back up all the images before you start!
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    While mogrify is useful, be sure to back up all the images before you start!
    This is definitely good advice, which the OP should follow.

For zooming and other fancy effects: while they certainly can be done at the command-line, I would recommend looking at some graphical video editors. I don't know if any of those available for Linux have the capability (since I video edit on Windows using proprietary software), but if they do the you'll find the visual feedback makes things much easier.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    If I'm understanding correctly, that you are trying to crop a number of files simultaneously, try a command like this:
    Code:
    for file in *.jpg; do convert -crop widthxheight+padding-left+padding-top "$file"; done
    ...just make sure to replace widthxheight, padding-left, and padding-top with actual values

It will cycle through all of the jpg files one at a time, perform the crop operation overwritting the file.
    I just get a whole bunch of these, one for each file but I will try it next time I restart my computer and change my drivers because I did something with the code I was using before and it gave the same thing the second time I used it but the first time it froze my computer so I think it just broke something.
    Code:
    convert.im6: no images defined `filename.jpg' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/3044.

Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    I think you should use mogrify for these things. It's a part of ImageMagick and comes with convert (and uses the same syntax, so most things you read in the convert guides will work with mogrify), but is designed to modify files in-place rather than writing to a separate output file.

Code:
    mogrify -crop widthxheight+padding-left+padding-top ./*.jpg
    This one worked for me! Even 100000+ files and it didn't even crash my computer this time.

......unfortunately RecordMyDesktop only has a maximum of only 50 FPS.