Thread: which linux certifiication is best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

which linux certifiication is best

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone might have an opinion on the various certification exams. Their are three or four of them. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: which linux certifiication is best

Not an OS support question . Moved to Ubuntu Linux and OS Chat.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Hi Emerson,

Certifications are meant to be a demonstration of your experience and skills. What are your experience and skills?
    What kind of work are you looking for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have experience in assembly and repair of pc's. I've dabbled with linux for 10+ years. Finally I'm with linux for goood. Linux has improved light years and finally I can leave Windows behind as a bad memory. My aspirations are unclear. I'm unsure what the job market is, so I can better assess my occupational goals. I beleive I would aspire to Linx system administartion if the market has a need for sysadmin.

Beans

There is a lot of good information in the Certifications subforum of linuxquestions.org: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...tification-46/

LPIC is a popular test of general Linux skills. Ubuntu offers an Ubuntu Certified Professional certification, but to be honest with you, I don't think it carries the same weight professionally as the Red Hat exams, which have a great reputation.

I work as a Windows admin and don't have any certs, so I'm afraid I don't have advice from my own personal experience, except that it is certainly possible to get a job without certifications. From what I hear, a lot of times, the purpose of having the certs is to get past the resume-screening software at the HR department, which is scanning for certain key words and phrases.

ps I wouldn't be so eager to leave Windows behind, as even if you get a job working with Linux, very often it will be a mixed Linux/Windows environment. If you know stuff like active directory, exchange server, etc. it makes your resume that much more attractive.
    Last edited by snowpine; June 28th, 2013 at 12:29 AM.

Beans

I have been in the industry for over ten years and don't have any certs. Personally, I think self cultivation is far more rewarding than figuring out how to pass someone else's test. As for Windows, I agree, it has personally held the industry back a number of years but it is all passing away now, like a nightmare. I can't wait until Microsoft unveils their next flagship OS and the market simply yawns, yet again.

Beans

Red Hat is probably the most recognised.