Thread: Ubuntu Phone OS & the new Google phones

Beans

Ubuntu Phone OS & the new Google phones

Google released a "Google Play" version of the Galaxy S4 and HTC One yesterday running vanilla Android. I read that the Ubuntu Phone OS will support the Nexus devices first and foremost and I'm wondering if these new releases fall under that category.

http://gizmodo.com/galaxy-s4-and-htc...best-586723181

Has anyone had a chance to use Ubuntu Phone OS yet?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu Phone OS & the new Google phones

Thread moved to Mobile Technology Discussions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm wondering if these new releases fall under that category.
    What category? I do not understand. Are you thinking that Ubuntu Touch is some kind of Adroid phone skin? It is not. Not at all. There has been a developer preview available for download for some weeks. It is so that app developers can work on the actual Touch platform as it is developed. It is far from complete but there has been much greater progress than many thought possible in the time frame that Canonical set as a target. Others have also taken up the task of porting Ubuntu Touch on to other devices.

So, the answer to your second question is, yes and no. The Ubuntu phone OS (platform is the prefered name) is not yet finished. So, no one has had a chance to use it. On the other hand many have had the chance to use the developer preview. In fact anyone who has the right device has a chance to use it.

A lot of work has been done on Canonical's new MIR display driver and I am at this moment using Ubuntu running on Xmir (and not Xserver) on my PC. And I have just watched a video showing all the different flavours running on Xmir.

http://www.olli-ries.com/running-mir/

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2013/06/27/mir-plans-in-13-10/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+ubuntu-news+%28Ubuntu+News%29

Ubuntu Touch on phones and tablets will be much more than a skin for the exisitng Andriod OS.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I didn't mean to imply that Ubuntu Touch is a skin. The "category" I was referring to is the one which contains the phones compatible with the OS, or at least its preview. I did find out on IRC that the fact there there have been released vanilla Android versions of the HTC One and Samsung S4 does not necessarily make them more likely to be ported to the OS, and the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 remain the only phones compatible at this time.

Has anyone found a good way to dual-boot Android and Touch?