Thread: VPN question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

VPN question

I was thinking of purchasing a vpn year long subscription. I know it makes me annoynomous, but how does it work? how do i connect to it? And, can i connect more than one computer to it at a time? For example if i wanted my laptop and my desktop connected.
    Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 Ubuntu 13.04
    AMD Phenom II x4 945***8GB DDR3 1333***Nvidia GeForce GT 440***Ubuntu 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: VPN question

Quote Originally Posted by feardotcom View Post
    I was thinking of purchasing a vpn year long subscription. I know it makes me annoynomous, but how does it work? how do i connect to it? And, can i connect more than one computer to it at a time? For example if i wanted my laptop and my desktop connected.
    1. What is a VPN?

One popular technology to accomplish these goals is a VPN (virtual private network). A VPN is a private network that uses a public network (usually the Internet) to connect remote sites or users together. The VPN uses "virtual" connections routed through the Internet from the business's private network to the remote site or employee. By using a VPN, businesses ensure security -- anyone intercepting the encrypted data can't read it.

2. How do I connect to it?

That depends entirely on what kind of VPN it is. Which style of VPN is used (Cisco, OpenVPN, Freeswan/OpenSwan, Juniper Dana) will depend on what you use to connect it with. I suggest you find an OpenVPN provider, its the easiest to use and configure, client wise.

3. Can I connect more that one computer to a VPN?

Traditionally speaking yes. Some VPN providers however will limit the number of connection you are allowed to connect with. Be dilligent of this fact.