Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding the Side Bar or Launcher or Dock in Ubuntu

Beans

Regarding the Side Bar or Launcher or Dock in Ubuntu

Hi all,

As I wanted to know how to make the icons smaller in UBUNTU Side bar or Dock or Launcher.

Lokesh Kamath

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Regarding the Side Bar or Launcher or Dock in Ubuntu

use gnome-tweak-tools or dconf

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It would help if you told us what version of Ubuntu you are using. There are different ways of doing this becuse each version of Ubuntu has an improved version of Unity. I will assume that you are using 13.04. The same method might be also be used on 12.10 but I know it is not the way to do it on 12.04.

Open System Settings>Appearance and you will find a slider that adjusts the Launcher Icon size. For 12.04 you have to install Compiz Configuration Settings Manager. But I have not used 12.04 for more than a year so I cannot give exact directions on how to do it on 12.04.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

My Ubuntu is 12.04 LTS.

Lokesh Kamath

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Interestingly, in 13.04, if you use CompizConfig Settings Manager > Desktop > Ubuntu Unity Plugin > Launcher, you can set the Launcher Icon Size as small as 8. With System Settings > Appearance, the minimum you can set is 32.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by entropy1 View Post
    Interestingly, in 13.04, if you use CompizConfig Settings Manager > Desktop > Ubuntu Unity Plugin > Launcher, you can set the Launcher Icon Size as small as 8. With System Settings > Appearance, the minimum you can set is 32.

in system setting i am not getting. that option. I was getting previously. but recently i formated the hard disk from that time on wards my launcher icons are 48 in size. for reference i included the screen shot of system settings appearance screen.

Lokesh Kamathsystem setting appearance screen.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The option to change the launcher size appears only when using the Unity desktop. See attached screenshots, the first using Unity and the second using Cinnamon. Both screenshots are with Ubuntu 12.04.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by entropy1 View Post
    The option to change the launcher size appears only when using the Unity desktop. See attached screenshots, the first using Unity and the second using Cinnamon. Both screenshots are with Ubuntu 12.04.
    I was also getting before formating the system, after formating i am not getting.

Lokesh Kamath

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    Install CompizConfigManager. Open CompizConfigManager. Open the Ubuntu Unity Plugin. Choose Launcher. Scroll down to Launcher Size and set it to whatever size you want. The Launcher should respond to the setting immediately as you change the value. Exit CompizConfigManager

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slkamath View Post
    I was also getting before formating the system, after formating i am not getting.
    Just wondering if you are now on Unity 2D, as that would mean you wouldn't see the resize launcher icons option in the appearance tab in system settings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast