Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking RAM using Live Pendrive UBUNTU 12.04.2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Running 12.04.2 from a pendrive

Is there a way for run a system file check for Vista using Ubuntu. Is so, please advise

Thanks
    Using Kubuntu 14.04
    KDE version 4.13.3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Running 12.04.2 from a pendrive

Well, sorta ...

You can run an fsck.ntfs from Linux, but you shouldn't. Use the tools from the OS file system (vista) if you care about avoiding data loss and/or corruption.

Still http://askubuntu.com/questions/86086...find-fsck-ntfs may be of help.
    Keep in mind that this utility came from a reverse engineering process and are not the best option to manage your filesystem, the NTFS filesystem does not belong to the GNU/linux world.
    I would use the Vista repair disk or a Windows product instead.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Which one you actually want to do? Check the RAM on the computer (as the title suggests), check the integrity of the filesystem Vista is installed, or check the actual system files of Vista?

First one is easy, Ubuntu's boot menu contains option for testing RAM. (The test should be left to run for a good while, I'd recommend over night, and any errors are sign of faulty RAM or some other hardware issue).

The filesystem can be checked using fsck, but since NTFS is MIcrosoft's proprietary filesystem, checking it using Windows tools is likely to give you better results.

...and finally for checking the system files of Windows, you'll want to do that using Windows boot disk or install CD.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Well, sorta ...

You can run an fsck.ntfs from Linux, but you shouldn't. Use the tools from the OS file system (vista) if you care about avoiding data loss and/or corruption.

Still http://askubuntu.com/questions/86086...find-fsck-ntfs may be of help.

I would use the Vista repair disk or a Windows product instead.

Thank you for responding.

I have Vista installed but it will not boot. I would like to check Vista's system files, and if corrupt, to repair them.

I am accessing the Internet through a live Linus pendrive.

From Linux (Command) I typed fsck.ntfs, but the programme did not run.

Best wishes.

A

Ps. I have had no luck with Vista's tools
    Using Kubuntu 14.04
    KDE version 4.13.3

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Which one you actually want to do? Check the RAM on the computer (as the title suggests), check the integrity of the filesystem Vista is installed, or check the actual system files of Vista?

First one is easy, Ubuntu's boot menu contains option for testing RAM. (The test should be left to run for a good while, I'd recommend over night, and any errors are sign of faulty RAM or some other hardware issue).

The filesystem can be checked using fsck, but since NTFS is MIcrosoft's proprietary filesystem, checking it using Windows tools is likely to give you better results.

...and finally for checking the system files of Windows, you'll want to do that using Windows boot disk or install CD.
    Thanks for reposning.

Sorry about the tile and text conmfusion.

I have Vista installed but it will not boot. I would like to check Vista's system files, and if corrupt, to repair them.

I am accessing the Internet through a live Linux pendrive.

From Linux (Command) I typed fsck.ntfs, but the programme did not run.

Best wishes.

A

Ps. I have had no luck with Vista's tools
    Using Kubuntu 14.04
    KDE version 4.13.3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Checking RAM using Live Pendrive UBUNTU 12.04.2

If Microsoft's own tools have already failed, I doubt there is much you could do from Ubuntu. Like I said, fsck is just a much more feature-limited version of the filesystem check Microsoft's own tool are able to do to it's own filesystem, and there is no automatic tool in Linux for checking consistency of Windows system files.

What comes to using fsck, you need to tell it what drive & partition it should try to check. For example if Windows is on first partition of second hard drive, you'd run it like this:
    Code:
    sudo fsck -t ntfs /dev/sdb1
    Also keep in mind the filesystem shouldn't be mounted at the time you try to check it. And if youa ren't sure about the corrrect drive/partition, fdisk can list all the drives to you:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

fdisk should NOT be used on drives with GPT or larger than 2TB. Use parted instead - I only use parted, since it works on all drives.

fsck.ntfs may not exist. It is just a link to another program - the link in my first reply explains. Did that work?
    If the OS won't boot and you cannot use vista file system tools or a boot disk to fix it, I'm afraid you are out of luck. Others here may suggest going to all sorts of lengths - they usually will - my time is more valuable than theirs, I suppose. A new $100 HDD solves many problems and I'd be most likely to move on.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    fdisk should NOT be used on drives with GPT or larger than 2TB. Use parted instead - I only use parted, since it works on all drives.

fsck.ntfs may not exist. It is just a link to another program - the link in my first reply explains. Did that work?
    If the OS won't boot and you cannot use vista file system tools or a boot disk to fix it, I'm afraid you are out of luck. Others here may suggest going to all sorts of lengths - they usually will - my time is more valuable than theirs, I suppose. A new $100 HDD solves many problems and I'd be most likely to move on.
    I used Disk Utility in Linux (from pendrive) to check my hard drive.

I found.

One bad sector.
    Overall assessment: Disk has a few bad sectors (green button).

Read Error Rate: Good (green button)
    Spinup Time: Good (green button)
    Start/stop count:N/A

My hard disk looks alright to me.
    Using Kubuntu 14.04
    KDE version 4.13.3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

While fdisk shouldn't be used for editing the partiton layout of GPT partitioned drives, it's just fine for listing the partitions (for example to simply check which is the correct device ID for the partition you want to check with fsck).

What comes to the Disk Utility, that's one more compeltely different tool with a different purpose.

- Disk Utility checks the physical surface of a hard drive, and reads any SMART status messages from the disk controller
    - fsck checks the integrity of a file system (such as Ext4 or NTFS)
    - Windows has it's own tools for checking the integrity of the actual system files it needs to run. (For example if a system file is replaced with a wrong version or corrupted file that would cause Windows to fail but everything would be normal on both physical disk level and on filesystem level)

(- and MemTest86 on Ubuntu's boot menu tests the operation of the RAM installed on the computer, which has nothing to do with any of the above)

What comes to one bad sector, that's not a problem. It's only when you see lots of them, or the bad sector count is increasing quickly, when you need to be worried about the drive failing.
    Last edited by mcduck; July 25th, 2014 at 01:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by anon_private View Post

My hard disk looks alright to me.
    Me too. The title of this thread is about checking your RAM with a Ubuntu USB, though, not checking a hard drive. So, have you resolved how to check your RAM?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast