Thread: RSYNC CRC check problem!!! please help!!!

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question RSYNC CRC check problem!!! please help!!!

Hi consider this situation:
    you have a large filesystem and want to do a backup. normally you don't want to use rsync with CRC check because of many calculation that should be done because of CRC calculation. but with modification time and size option some files that didn't really changed are backuped again (I don't know why!)
    is it possible to tell to rsync to first do a check for modification time and size and among those files(that rsync diagnosed as different in modification time or size) do a crc check?
    thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: RSYNC CRC check problem!!! please help!!!

Hi DrAlbert.

Strictly no (no way to setup that logic), but that can be done in two passes.

If you run a dry run (--dry-run or -n) you can get the list of the files that were selected by the regular time and size algorithm. Then, you can take that list and run another rsync command, this time syncing using checksums.

This would be a simple example:
    Code:
    rsync -ain --out-format='%n' source/ destination/ | rsync -av -c --files-from=- source/ destination/
    Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.
    Last edited by papibe; June 27th, 2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro

thank a lot! it works very good. would you please tell me more about "-ain" option. I couldn't find this option in rsync man page or when google it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sure.

-ain is actually 3 options:
    • -a is a short for --archive. It implies -rlptgoD (no -H,-A,-X). It's the most common option to sync directories.
    • -i is a short for --itemize-changes. It allows to generate a list of the changes. In this case, of the potential changes.
    • -n is a short for --dry-run. Which does not actually synchronize, but run through the current algorithm and print out the changes as if they were happening.

In practice, -ain gets you a list of file and directories that rsync should sync, but without actually doing it.

Does that help?
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro

I learned many things about linux in ubuntuforums and this was one of those. thank you!
    Last edited by DrAlbert; July 6th, 2013 at 06:51 PM.