Thread: AMD Radeon HD 6450

Beans

AMD Radeon HD 6450

I have a Dell XPS8300 with a AMD Radeon HD 6450 video card. I use to be able to run Ubuntu after adding NoModeSet to the grub, however this no longer works (13.04). I switched to Linux Mint which worked fine until it's new release in late May. I have tried many things that people have suggested, but not have worked. I would really like to get Ubuntu back with my current hardware, however, I have no become desperate enough (I have been running Windows all month) to buy a video card. I don't game, but I do use Google Earth alot. I would like to stick around a $125 price range..if thats possible. Does anyone have any suggestion to what I can do to either get Linux to work with my current video card or what type of video card I should buy?

Thanks,

Lord Sidious
    May the Force Not be with You

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: AMD Radeon HD 6450

install proprietary drivers.

also saying it doens't work really isn't helpful and doesn't mean anything.: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475

any error messages? what happens when it stops working? how is it installed (single OS on disk, dual boot side by side, wubi?)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSidious View Post
    I have a Dell XPS8300 with a AMD Radeon HD 6450 video card. I use to be able to run Ubuntu after adding NoModeSet to the grub, however this no longer works (13.04).
    Which video driver were you using? I'm posting from a machine with a Radeon HD 6450 card using Ubuntu 13.04 and the open source driver. I don't need to use nomodeset in grub and it works well for me, including Google Earth. If you don't game, you don't need the proprietary driver and the default open source one should be just fine. If you are using the proprietary driver, I suggest you uninstall it and see how you get on with the open source one.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Sorry it has take me so long to repond, but its a long weekend up here in Canada.

My problem has been solved, though I'm not sure why. After a clean install, it would boot up with a black screen as I described in my first post. There were no error messages. I rebooted, but hit Alt-F2, & selected Advanced boot options, generic kernal. It booted up without any problems. I can now boot up normally. I have no explanation for this. It works, so I'm reluctant to go messing around with it. Thanks for you help guys.

Darth Sidious