Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eyeglass Cleaner Ruined My Matte Screen?

Beans

Re: Eyeglass Cleaner Ruined My Matte Screen?

If you're lucky that from plastic part might be lose and can be replaced, if it's bonded to the screen it's gonna be a lot harder....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

once we took samples of microfiber as we tried to resell them it didn't work eventhough they performed well on their testsand we offered better price than competition. so i now use them at home. they are just awesome for computer screen as well as tv. a bi tof watter and cheap mild glass cleaner does the trick.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    FWIW, the eyeglass cleaner I buy *is* isopropyl alcohol diluted in water. (Rather, used to buy. Now, I just make my own.)

I'm not sure the damage can be repaired. To guess, it seems part of the matte finish has been removed. Using anything else but a very soft cloth dampened with water might increase the damage.
    I've used those before, but my current "screen cleaner" stuff is deionized water and "proprietary polymers" whatever the heck that means.

I clean my screens with a microfiber cloth.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Ok, mammamia, don't panic.

Worst case scenario: The matte finish is a plastic sheet laid on top of the screen. If push comes to shove, all you have to do is take the screws off (there's a screw underneath each of the rubber stoppers around your screen), pop the frame open, and replace the plastic sheet. All in all, a 10 minute job (+ the time it may take you to find the plastic sheet, that is ).
    As an added bonus, if, when you bought the computer, you actually wanted one with a shiny screen, now's the time to indulge.
    But that takes me to a question I need to ask you: are you sure it's the finish that's screwed up? I can't be sure, looking at a screenshot, but that looks to me like you actually had some lens cleaner seeping underneath the plastic sheet, and it's just trapped between it and the surface of the LCD. If that's the case, you may just need to open it and dry it out.
    If that's NOT the case, it'd help us a lot if you could tell us the formula of the lens cleaner you used, or at least the brand, so we can look at the MSDS.

Besides that, in the first page of this thread, somebody posted some very dangerous information that I feel the need to correct: methyl alcohol is NOT drinking alcohol. ETHYL ALCOHOL (a.k.a. "ethanol") is drinking alcohol. Methyl alcohol (a.k.a. "methanol", or "wood alcohol") is a VERY TOXIC SUBSTANCE that, upon its drinking, unprotected handling, and even the breathing of its fumes, can cause an array of health problems, including blindness and death. Please, DO NOT confuse the two.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Inodoro Pereyra View Post
    Ok, mammamia, don't panic.

Worst case scenario: The matte finish is a plastic sheet laid on top of the screen. If push comes to shove, all you have to do is take the screws off (there's a screw underneath each of the rubber stoppers around your screen), pop the frame open, and replace the plastic sheet. All in all, a 10 minute job (+ the time it may take you to find the plastic sheet, that is ).
    As an added bonus, if, when you bought the computer, you actually wanted one with a shiny screen, now's the time to indulge.
    But that takes me to a question I need to ask you: are you sure it's the finish that's screwed up? I can't be sure, looking at a screenshot, but that looks to me like you actually had some lens cleaner seeping underneath the plastic sheet, and it's just trapped between it and the surface of the LCD. If that's the case, you may just need to open it and dry it out.
    If that's NOT the case, it'd help us a lot if you could tell us the formula of the lens cleaner you used, or at least the brand, so we can look at the MSDS.

Besides that, in the first page of this thread, somebody posted some very dangerous information that I feel the need to correct: methyl alcohol is NOT drinking alcohol. ETHYL ALCOHOL (a.k.a. "ethanol") is drinking alcohol. Methyl alcohol (a.k.a. "methanol", or "wood alcohol") is a VERY TOXIC SUBSTANCE that, upon its drinking, unprotected handling, and even the breathing of its fumes, can cause an array of health problems, including blindness and death. Please, DO NOT confuse the two.
    So could I just go without the plastic part? I believe it was for eyes brand but im at work and can't check right now. Pretty sure it didn't find a way to get behind screen
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    So could I just go without the plastic part? I believe it was for eyes brand but im at work and can't check right now. Pretty sure it didn't find a way to get behind screen
    You could, but I wouldn't recommend it. That plastic sheet is also a protector for the LCD screen, against scratches and whatnot.
    Either way, depending on the computer, that plastic sheet will be nothing but a thin (probably between 1/64" and 1/32") lexan sheet, or even a lexan or celluloid film, pretty much like an x-ray picture but transparent, that you could buy in any store that sells plastic materials, and easily cut to shape. Like I said, it's really not a big deal. And if it's a thicker sheet, you can always polish the whole surface (once you got it OFF the computer) and either use it polished, or spray it with some matte clear coat paint, and get your matte finish back. Just take your time, and do things right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Inodoro Pereyra View Post
    Oops, that was me. You're quite correct. Not sure why I wrote that. It's been edited.

Beans

Most likely, you have oil on the screen now. Clean it with blue Windex and a soft cloth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Does the cleaner solution contain Ammonia, Acetone, Ethyl Acid, Ethyl Alcohol, Methyl Chloride, or Toluene?
    Last edited by King Dude; June 28th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Oops, that was me. You're quite correct. Not sure why I wrote that. It's been edited.
    Thank you Paqman. I didn't really know it was you (too lazy to go back and look). Either way, thank you for editing it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast