Beans

Re: MacBook Pro 8,2: howto for dual boot Ubuntu/MacOS EFI

doublepost
    [-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'll relate my story so far regarding installing Ubuntu 13-04 on a 15" retina MacBook Pro 10,1, which has an onboard Intel graphics chip and a Nvidia GT650M chip.
    This may (or may not) clarify some of the things that whatsamac has done. It may also raise questions in some respect.

Basically I downloaded the 64 bit mac version of Ubuntu 13-04 and made a USB stick in the same way as whatsamac did (hdutil).

I installed rEFInd whilst in OS X and rebooted to make sure all was good.

I then booted from the usb drive and tested the live desktop. I was aware that wireless would not work (which is a problem as this laptop does not have an ethernet card) so I had previously downloaded the drivers et al on a separate usb stick. In the live environment I tested that installing these drivers/firmware worked ok - and they did.

I then installed Ubuntu in the normal way (having already created some free space with disk utilities in OS X).

Before I rebooted I added
    Code:
    i915.lvds_channel_mode=2 i915.modeset=0 i915.lvds_use_ssc=0
    to the kernel line in /etc/default/grub and then ran
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    You will notice that this is not quite the same as whatsamac's line. I believe this line disables the Intel grahpics chip forcing the Nvidia chip to work, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

At this point I rebooted and in the rEFInd menu I just got entries for Windows 8 (already installed), OS X and Ubuntu.
    On selecting the Ubuntu entry it booted to a black screen only.
    After several hours of trouble-shooting I ended up contacting Rod Smith (authour of Rodsbooks, who used to be a member on this site) and told him what I'd done.
    He suggested I install the "drivers_x64/ext4_x64.efi" (which I had not previously done) and it should then boot. This is what I did and the system then booted normally (though not through Grub).

As I constantly mess with my system I was not happy that I could not get to a grub menu (as I appeared to be booting via EFIstub) which is handy for entering boot prompts, when necessary, so I then ran Boot-Repair tool selecting the advanced options then Grub location and selected the "separate boot/efi partition" and hit apply.
    This ran ok and on reboot I then got the rEFInd menu and on selecting Ubuntu it now goes to a grub menu which I can edit at will.

I have not found any Ubuntu packaged Nvidia drivers that will work with this setup (304.88, 310.xx will not boot). However I downloaded and installed 319.49 from the Nvidia site and ran the .run file with X shutdown.
    I then had to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (with nano) to include the line
    Code:
    Option         "UseDPLib" "off"
    in the Section "device" section. I again ran sudo update-grub (not sure whether that was needed) and rebooted to see the Nvidia splash screen (just briefly) and a normally booting system with 3D acceleration.

Sound worked out of the box and after installing the wifi drivers/firmware I got connected to the internet.
    The screen backlight is not adjustable via the keyboard, though the little icon appears to adjust ok on the screen it is actually adjusting the keyboard backlight.
    Some of the F keys work, though I can't get things like Alt+f2, ctrl+Alt+t to work even though those shortcuts appear to be loaded.

Screen resolution was stuck at the default 2880x1800 (iirc) so things were very small. I got round this by issuing
    Code:
    xrandr --output DP-2 --scale .6666x.6666
    in the terminal (after first running xrandr -q to find out the screen's designation - DP-2 in my case - the "connected" one in the output), giving me two thirds screen resolution (1920x1200). Once I saw this was good I included that instruction as a startup item so that this resolution is there from boot.

Before installing the Nvidia driver suspend would work but resume would give an unusable display - nothing worked.
    After installing Nvidia the same happens unless I actually select "suspend" from the menu. In this case resume works fine. However, just closing the lid will suspend the machine but resume will not work. Also on resume the screen backlight defaults to what appears to be full brightness which is not how it was before suspending.
    Last edited by Quackers; September 8th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Thank you Quackers, but since you've got a different hardware I'd suggest you to open a topic dedicated to the model you have. This would then allow discussion specific around the MacBook Pro 10,1 retina, which would make it easier for people searching for the 10,1 retina to find what they are looking for. This thread is about the 8,2 - and it contains specific fixes that are required to make THIS machine run. I believe there are even different series of 8,2 MacBook Pros out there, as some tutorials I've followed for the 8,2 model didn't work out for me...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I understand that whatsamac but I was thinking that some problems can cross between different machines and a resolution is good wherever it comes from
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Today I upgraded to 13.10. Whenever prompted, I replaced existing changed configuration files with the packet maintainer's new version. Then I re-applied the changes to /etc/grub.d/00_header as in my initial post, and all went fine. Keyboard backlight can be set via function keys now, yay!

Edit: I just tested the SD Card Reader, and that one works too now o.O
    Last edited by whatsamac; October 19th, 2013 at 12:06 AM.

Beans

Repeated steps today setting up Ubuntu 13.10 from scratch. All worked flawlessly.

I discovered that these
    Code:
    i915.lvds_channel_mode=2 i915.modeset=1 i915.lvds_use_ssc=0
    are not needed anymore.

Also, duplicate monitor appear when booting through EFI stub with Radeon turned on, which causes mouse cursor to blink. To fix that I had to generate /boot/refind_linux.conf (just run mkrlconf.sh from rEFFInd installation files), and then edit to make the first line look like:

Code:
    "Boot with standard options" "ro root=UUID=your-uuid-here  i915.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=1 radeon.dpm=1 quiet splash "

Beans

Thanks a lot for reporting this! I updated my /etc/default/grub and updated grub menu (sudo grub-mkconfig), and can confirm that these lines are no longer required. Great!

I can't confirm the blinking mouse cursor though, when does that happen? I have absolutely no problems when connecting a second monitor and booting with EFI Stub. Of course I have cloned output during boot, but as soon as I reach the login screen, all is fine.

Beans

Update: I seem to have overlooked to do "sudo update-grub". My installation apparently still needs the i915 lines, I end up with black screen otherwise.

Beans

I'm sorry to rehash this post but I am not sure where to put the outb code? There is nothing in the file I am editing after pushing 'e' that says 'load_video' . All i see is this:

http://imgur.com/Dm4kjX2

Also this is what diskutil list looks like

http://imgur.com/FQ6KyHr

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by jwilcox09; December 11th, 2013 at 04:20 AM.

Beans

No problem, I'm checking on this thread regularly. It seems the boot medium for 13.10 has changed the grub entry a bit then. I figure if you put it after "set gfxpayload=keep", starting with a new line, that should be fine. You seem to have quite some partitions and disks on your machine. I followed a very simple structure but the number and position of partitions and disks should not be a problem provided rEFInd and grub are configured accordingly so they know where to look (maybe they know even without configuration?). Good luck!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast