Thread: Non-responsive touch pad and minor graphical glitches on live DVD.

Beans

Non-responsive touch pad and minor graphical glitches on live DVD.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C850D laptop that had Windows 8 installed on it. However, through extensive modifications with the boot settings, etc. I managed to downgrade it to a Windows 7 using a clean install. Now, I want to use Linux. So I made two live DVDs, one for Mint and one for Ubuntu. However, when I used the live DVD for Ubuntu, the touch-pad will freeze as soon it boots up and it will not respond. Typically restarting the computer will resolve this issue but I have been finding that this solution is becoming less and less effective.

Also, I get minor graphical glitches on my Ubuntu. For instance, the task bar will disappear and reappear and the icons on the side will "pop" and "crackle" as I try to open an application. With Mint on the other hand, I get severe triangulation and many aspects of the desktop are barely legible. It is interesting to note, as I use any application on both OS, there are no graphical errors within the applications.

Would using a simpler desktop resolve this issue, and if that is the case, what desktop would you recommend?

I hope this is a clear synopsis of the situation and if not, please understand that I am not very proficient with computers.

Thank you very much for your help.

Beans

Re: Non-responsive touch pad and minor graphical glitches on live DVD.

Also, I just tried installing Ubuntu from Windows (so it is a dual boot) and the mouse and keyboard will not work! However, on the brighter side, any apparent graphical glitches have seem to resolve themselves. (Although, I did not get past the log in screen.)

Is there any way to make the mouse and keyboard work using the terminal, and if so, how do you start it when you can't even log in?
    Last edited by metalkittykat; June 26th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Beans

Re: Non-responsive touch pad and minor graphical glitches on live DVD.

I tried using an external USB mouse and it seemed to resolve the first problem. However, as I logged in, I am still suffering from the same graphical glitches. Would any drivers resolve this issue?