Thread: install user errors

Beans

install user errors

i have an old laptop that is basically junk. I decided for what is going to be needed for ubuntu was the best OS. I need it simply to play youtube vids for a class 5 days a week. after much ado i thought i had it installed (v12.04). after reboot though only code command came up. i either never made a downlaod disc with a GUI or i didn't select it to be installed. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i have it attached to the internet on a land line.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: install user errors

What are its hardware specs?

Beans

Make sure that your hardware meets (or, preferably, exceeds) the minimum hardware specs for Adobe Flash:

Code:
    Linux
    •2.33GHz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel Atom 1.6GHz or faster processor for netbooks
    •Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® (RHEL) 5.6 or later (32 bit and 64 bit), openSUSE® 11.3 or later (32 bit and 64 bit), or Ubuntu 10.04 or later (32 bit and 64 bit)
    •Mozilla Firefox 17 or Google Chrome
    •512MB of RAM; 128MB of graphics memory

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rkaufmann28 View Post
    i have an old laptop that is basically junk. I decided for what is going to be needed for ubuntu was the best OS. I need it simply to play youtube vids for a class 5 days a week. after much ado i thought i had it installed (v12.04). after reboot though only code command came up. i either never made a downlaod disc with a GUI or i didn't select it to be installed. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i have it attached to the internet on a land line.
    Since you are using an "old laptop that is basically junk", it will only help you if you can post the details of your laptop hardware. You see with older computers memory [RAM] is an issue. If you have less than 1GB RAM then its better you opt for LUBUNTU. If you have 1-2GB RAM then go for XUBUNTU, go with Ubuntu or Kubuntu only if you have 2GB or more of RAM.

Also the details of your Graphics are important.

You must always run a MD5Sum Check on your downloaded .iso to check its integrity. Burn the downloaded .iso correctly to the DVD/USB using the recommended tools. For more info: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."