Thread: Skype shuts down when someone calls me

Beans

Skype shuts down when someone calls me

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with skype 4.2.0.11 on ubuntu 12.04 64 bit. Every time I receive a call (either video or normal call) as soon as I answer skype shut down!!! If I make the call it works without problems until the notification of some contact connecting/disconnecting appears on the bottom on the right side of the screen.

I tried several skype version but the problem persist!!!

With ubuntu 10.04 64 bit I have never had any problems skype always worked just fine!!!

What I can do??

If I launch skype from a terminal it gives the following message:
    Code:
    ALSA lib conf.c:4687:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters CARD=Intel
    ALSA lib control.c:951:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:CARD=Intel
    ALSA lib conf.c:3314:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
    ALSA lib control.c:951:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default
    skype: hcontrol.c:326: _snd_hctl_find_elem: Assertion `hctl && id' failed.
    Aborted (core dumped)
    The first two lines appear as skype is launched the others appear when I answer a call or one of my contacts connects!!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S: sorry for my terrible english!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Skype shut down when someone call me!!!

I suffered similar problems too. Out of frustration I uninstalled skype & installed v2.2 (I think). That seemed to work.
    I have noticed that my skype has upgraded to 4.2.0.11. I think it works; haven't used it for so long.

If you search the forums, there are threads on this very topic, I can't remember exactly where though.

Good luck.

Beans

I have already tried to install v 2.2, It did not show the same problem but it did not recognize my microphone which worked perfectly with sound recoder or other skype version. I have already searched in the forum and tried to follow some solution but i did not solve the problem!!!!

Beans
    Distro

Not sure then, I'm afraid. Maybe ask the moderators to move this to General Help, you'll probably reach a wider audience.
    Click on 'Report Post'

Beans

Re: Skype shuts down when someone calls me

Check if you have the file "libasound_module_conf_pulse.so" under directory "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/". If you don't have it install libasound2-plugins. I am not sure if you also need the i386 version. Since Skype is not a 64 bits app.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved by request.

Beans

@artbio i have the file "libasound_module_conf_pulse.so" in the right directory. I don't know if it is 32 or 64 bit version, how do i check??

However my skype just crushed even if i wasn't in a call!!!! I was just chatting whit a friend of mine and the program stopped working!! It asked me if i wanted to force quit, i pressed force quit but skype didn't shut down!!
    I had to use
    Code:
    sudo kill -9 process_pid
    Terminal from which i launched skype told me
    Code:
    gugu@guido-nb:~$ skype
    ALSA lib conf.c:4687:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters CARD=Intel
    ALSA lib control.c:951:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:CARD=Intel
    *** glibc detected *** skype: corrupted double-linked list: 0xe24b89a0 ***
    ^[^GKilled
    gugu@guido-nb:~$
    I don't know if that has anything to do with the call's problem, anyway with ubuntu 10.04 none of this problems ever happened!!
    Last edited by gugu88; June 27th, 2013 at 04:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro

None of these problems appeared until after M$ bought skype, problems aren't just limited to ubuntu but android, ios, etc.

Beans

It could be but however i have friends who are able to use skype on ubuntu without any problem. I don't know on android but on iOS skype works perfectly.

No ideas?
    Last edited by mörgæs; June 28th, 2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is not needed.

Beans

Some ideas presented here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/De...l/td-p/1371149
    Installing libasound2-plugins:i386 seems to work