Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GUI not working

Beans

GUI not working

Hello,

I have recently loaded Ubuntu ver 12.10 desktop x86_64 on my machine which has
    Intel D525 processor
    2GbRAM,
    500GB HDD

The GUI screen is not working after 1 minute of load and hangs I am able to go to tty screen and work with command line but not use mouse on GUI please help

regards

MS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: GUI not working

Thread moved to Multimedia & Video.

Welcome to the forums. I am guessing this has something to do with your graphics card. If it proves otherwise will move to the appropriate sub-forum.

Could you be a bit more specific, please? When you boot the machine, what happens? Do you get to a screen which gives you a list of the operating systems and kernels installed? If not, hit shift just after the BIOS screen when the computer boots and that should get you there.

Highlight the first entry on the list and type 'e'. That will let you edit the line. Look for the line that ends in 'quiet' or 'splash' or any combination of both. To the end of that add 'nomodset'. Follow the instructions at the bottom of the screen to save the changes and continue with boot.

Another option is when you get to the command line, what happens when you type:

startx

... and hit return? If you don't get to the desktop, post the exact message if you can. Did you try Ubuntu from the install disk first and did it work fine then?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 26th, 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post

Welcome to the forums. I am guessing this has something to do with your graphics card. If it proves otherwise will move to the appropriate sub-forum.
    Thanks for prompt reply

Could you be a bit more specific, please? When you boot the machine, what happens? Do you get to a screen which gives you a list of the operating systems and kernels installed? If not, hit shift just after the BIOS screen when the computer boots and that should get you there.
    Everything works fine when i boot the machine, it lands directly to UBUNTU DESKTOP
    No i dont get the screen which tells me list of OS or kernels installed
    I tried to press shift , but nothing happened , just so that you know i have a USB keyboard & mouse installed and my machine is :
    http://axiomtek.com/products/ViewProduct.asp?view=913

Highlight the first entry on the list and type 'e'. That will let you edit the line. Look for the line that ends in 'quiet' or 'splash' or any combination of both. To the end of that add 'nomodset'. Follow the instructions at the bottom of the screen to save the changes and continue with boot.
    I never reached the screen tried it twice so dont know about this yet ... still trying

startx

... and hit return? If you don't get to the desktop, post the exact message if you can. Did you try Ubuntu from the install disk first and did it work fine then?
    I tried that on tty3 screen after my GUI hung up on me it shows just one UNTITLED folder no panel on top or left

Furthermore, since the current restart the machine is working fine and GUI was working till I changed my display to Samsung 19"display ( TFT monitor)
    after exactly 1 min the GUI disappeared with a black screen ...

I can still work on tty modes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When the machine is actually working and you are a desktop, do an update then check 'Additional Drivers'. Is there anything in there for your graphics card?

Beans

When the machine is actually working and you are a desktop, do an update then check 'Additional Drivers'. Is there anything in there for your graphics card?
    No there is nothing there for the graphic card

Beans

startx

Also I was able to enter the GNU GRUB page by pressing shift key, I entered no modest after :
    linux /boot/lmlinuz-3.5.0-17-generic root=UUID=32514556-e501-42e9-9c2b-68123fcdda5a ro quiet splash\
    $vt_handoff

in options below i have TAB to complete command, Ctrl-x or F10 to boot, ctrl-c or f2 for a command line or ESC to discard changes
    i have no option to save this so I pressed f10 and still there is a problem
    Please advise what should i do ?
    I dont get any error message or anything
    even when i try to run startx from terminal screen
    but when i run startx from terminal screen it only shows me an untitled folder and no top or side bar/toolbar

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When you get to that desktop, what is in the folder and what happens when you right click on the desktop?

Beans

When you get to that desktop, what is in the folder and what happens when you right click on the desktop?
    the folder is empty but I can see on the left computer, home, desktop .... TABS
    when I right click I get options :
    create new folder
    create new document (with sub-options)
    organize desktop by name
    keep Aligned ( checked)
    paste (disabled)
    change desktop background

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

So computer, home are there on the desktop, present and correct? If you click them they have the correct data? I'm presuming this is Unity. Did it work okay when you tried it from the install CD, if you did?

I'd be tempted to try a known solid release like 12.04 LTS to make sure it is not something in the version. If it happens with 12.04 as well then it gives a clue. Perhaps you could try them both from the install disk and see if they both work okay there.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 3rd, 2013 at 06:33 AM.

Beans

So computer, home are there on the desktop, present and correct? If you click them they have the correct data? I'm presuming this is Unity. Did it work okay when you tried it from the install CD, if you did?

I'd be tempted to try a known solid release like 12.04 LTS to make sure it is not something in the version. If it happens with 12.04 as well then it gives a clue. Perhaps you could try them both from the install disk and see if they both work okay there.
    no computer home etc etc are visible when i open the folder (UNTITLED FOLDER) I dont see anything other than that in startx
    I installed this from USB key ver is 12.04LTS
    it says on terminal screen Ubuntu 12.10 (GNU/Linux 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast