Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650

I am noticing that the lag is happening in association with some programs more than others. Firefox 22.0 seems to slow the system down more than most other software I commonly use. This happens even when it doesn't appear to be loading anything or doing any significant work. The mouse pointer lags most when it is over the FF window. However, some lag happens also with LibreOffice 4.0.2.2. I use these programs more than any others. It could be that it would happen with nearly any software open. These are just my most used apps, so I notice it more.

It seems like my system should be able to handle these better. Is there something I could do to make this better? I don't have a large amount of effects toggled on.

I am not a hardware guru (obviously). What would be most likely at fault with these issues. My Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz1600.00MHz, low RAM (8GB), my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 card, or software?

UPDATE: OK, my whole system is definitely laggy with almost any program at all open -- even Dolphin! When I try to actually do anything with several programs open, I either can't, or it is extraordinarily slow. Why would this be?
    Last edited by djpemberton; July 1st, 2013 at 12:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you have a very compotent computer as far as hardware goes so it's got to be something with your configuration. What nvidia driver are you using? Also, any reason you're still using 11.04?

I am running 12.04 on a core2duo 1.8Ghz with only 2GB of DDRII ram and my machine doesn't suffer any lag. I am using Xubuntu because I don't like Unity but your hardware should be able to handle Unity just fine. Are you using Compiz or any other compositing software?
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted

Beans
    Distro

LOL. Sorry, I am using Kubuntu 13.04. I just have not maintained my ubuntuforums profile well! I am using whatever effects software is already built into Kubuntu 13.04. I haven't added anything in that regard. It is not Compiz.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

it appears you're running Nvidia driver 304.88, have you tried out 319.32?
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted

Beans
    Distro

I may have to.

Beans
    Distro

OK. I have installed 319.32. I'll let you know how it goes. Everything booted up fine, so that's a start!

Beans
    Distro

No improvement with the updated driver. Everything is functioning, or not, exactly as it was before. I have had the System Monitor open while I work. I almost always have several programs open at once (usually Firefox, a LibreOffice program, and Scribus or something else). However, the lag can happen even if I only have one open. Back to the System Monitor: during times of extreme lag, I am not noticing any peculiar spike in CPU% or Memory usage (consider my limited knowledge though). No program is usually getting above 4% of CPU usage (whatever I am active on will usually hover around 1-2%, though FF can spike to 10% when opening a page, etc.). Swap is never being used. Memory usage stays close to 1.7GB out of 8GB. I am not sure what I should expect with any of these figures. It does seem excessive that there are 241 processes listed. It doesn't look like most of them are active. What should I expect with any of these? Is anything looking out of the ordinary to anybody? Could it just be a KDE issue?

Beans
    Distro

Update: Perhaps in ignorance about how these things work, I installed another desktop environment -- Cinnamon. I tried that for a few minutes, as well as Unity (which was already installed). I noticed the same lagging in both of them! This is so frustrating. It is extraordinarily distracting and time consuming. I'm not sure what the next steps would be. A totally different distro? Something else?

Beans
    Distro

Problem solved?! It appears to have been my bluetooth mouse and keyboard--or Kubuntu's handling of the bluetooth. I have a new bluetooth keyboard and mouse (got it when I got the computer). The batteries are fresh in them. However, I began to realize that the lagginess was really only experienced in relation to the mouse pointer and typing. Programs were opening and closing fine, as was the operating system. So, I purchased a cheap usb mouse and keyboard set, plugged it in, and ceased to experience problems! Is there any way I can easily test to see if the problem is the OS's handling of bluetooth or my bluetooth devices themselves? Once I do that, I can perhaps mark this as solved.

Beans
    Distro

Problem definitely solved. I move the bluetooth adapter to the front of my computer. Since then, no more lagging! Feel kinda dumb, but it is solved! Good enough trade-off for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12