Thread: Need Some Processor Advice With Regards to Audio Recording

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Need Some Processor Advice With Regards to Audio Recording

I'm about to upgrade my aging, 9 year old, AMD Athlon X2 4800+ 939/ASUS A8N-32 SLI Deluxe combo. Back then, AMD was king and the Athlon X2 4800+ was awesome! Now...not so much. I was looking at the new AMD FX-8350 and was pretty excited at the idea of having 8 cores running at 4ghz, However, I'm wanting a processor that can handle floating point processes and ULTRA-low latency audio recording...not bedroom recording, but 24 track MADI/Analog tracking and mixing. I need this thing to run 24 to 32 channels of 96000Hz audio at (bare minimum) 64 sample latency with a realtime kernel. 64 samples might be rock bottom, but jack seems to think there is a 32 sample latency somehow. Can't run it with this computer, but would be nice. I also run Linux Sampler and guitarix...every now and then. The only Intel I've ever bought was an ATOM(I won't hold it against them), so I really don't know the technical details or experience that some of you may have with them. After looking through newegg, Intel is really expensive per core. I can't justify the price, unless there was a really good reason.

Can anyone tell me what would be best for around $250 or less...or a little more?

Ben

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Need Some Processor Advice With Regards to Audio Recording

the 3570k i5 is probably your best bet, it's very easily overclocked and Ivy Bridge is awesome and well worth the $219 on newegg

Beans
    Distro

Hey thanks for the input! It kinda sucks that it doesn't have hyperthreading though. Looks like it's about $100 more for hyperthreading. Ouch.

Beans
    Distro

After looking through a LOT of benchmarks, which seem to place the i7-3770 and the AMD FX-8350 in comparison, the FX trails very close behind and beats out the 3770K in a few tests. I think I'm going to stick with AMD this round. If Intel could "wow" me at a better price point, I'd would buy from them, but both the Processor and the same motherboard for Intel are $100 more than AMD. I'm saving nearly $200 and getting something comparable. I'd say thats a good deal. The only downside is the power usage, which is the same as my AMD 4800+.