Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need PAE for Ubuntu 10.04?

Beans

Do I need PAE for Ubuntu 10.04?

My Dell Latitude D600 gives me the message "this kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae".
    A possible solution I found was installing 10.04 and upgrading it to 12.04 once I did.
    I would just install it over the internet now, but my HD is blank.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Do I need PAE for Ubuntu 10.04?

You can use the 12.04 non-PAE mini CD to do the installation if this machine has an internet connection.

32-bit non-PAE 12.04 Mini CD
    Cheesemill

Beans

If it can't boot I don't think I could use internet on it.

Beans
    Distro

You boot from the mini CD and then this connects to the internet to download the rest of the packages needed for installation.

When I said 'if the machine has an internet connection' I meant 'if the machine is capable of an internet connection'.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

You could check on Xubuntu or Lubuntu 12.04. The 32 bit version of Xubuntu does not require PAE and neither does Lubuntu. If you wanted gnome-shell or Unity, you could install those after installing X or L ubuntu. It sounds like Xubuntu will not offer a non-PAE version after 12.04. Lubuntu is continuing to offer a non PAE 32 bit 13.04 so there are ways to work around the non-PAE issue. Looking at the specs for the D600, it looks like it might be happier with Xubuntu or Lubuntu anyway. Those distros often have better support for older machines than Ubuntu/Unity or Gnome-Shell and they're less demanding of resources.
    Last edited by kurt18947; June 25th, 2013 at 10:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Really good instructions for Cheesemill's suggestion are here:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-t...n-non-pae.html
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    You could check on Xubuntu or Lubuntu 12.04. The 32 bit version of Xubuntu does not require PAE and neither does Lubuntu. If you wanted gnome-shell or Unity, you could install those after installing X or L ubuntu. It sounds like Xubuntu will not offer a non-PAE version after 12.04. Lubuntu is continuing to offer a non PAE 32 bit 13.04 so there are ways to work around the non-PAE issue.
    Could I upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 while running Xubuntu or Lubuntu without an install CD?

Beans
    Distro

You could, but it would take a very long time and there is always the possibility that it won't work.

It would be much easier and quicker to install Ubuntu 12.04 from the beginning using the method I outlined above.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by caraj View Post
    My Dell Latitude D600 gives me the message "this kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae".
    A possible solution I found was installing 10.04 and upgrading it to 12.04 once I did.
    I would just install it over the internet now, but my HD is blank.
    How much RAM does your Dell Latitude D600 have? If it's low (512MB, 1GB), it is useless to install Ubuntu 12.04: Ubuntu 12.04 is resource hungry, both in RAM and CPU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I wouldn't call it resource hungry, but compared to the stock specs of the D600 (1.6GHz single-core, 128MB RAM), it's a raging beast. Unless someone did some major hardware upgrading, or unless you're an extremely patient person, you need to switch to something lighter, like Lubuntu. Actually, Ubuntu 12.04 won't run on less than 512MB.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast