Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making sense of Linux/Ubuntu desktop systems

Beans

Re: Making sense of Linux/Ubuntu desktop systems

OK, closing in on this. Just a few comments to keep it simple.

GTK (Gnu toolkit -- or Gnome toolkit?) is a programming toolkit. You'll never need to use it or install it, and ordinarily you don't need to be concerned with it. If you are told that a program is built with gtk or qt, however, that describes how the program looks.

Gnome version 2 has been replaced in most distributions with Gnome version 3, or "Gnome 3". The Gnome Shell runs on top of Gnome 3, and it essentially gives you the panel or bar that you use to run the computer. Unity is Ubuntu's alternative, and is somewhat similar.

Oh--and very important. If you don't like Unity, you can install gnome-fallback or something (varies by version) and select Gnome Classic without effects at the login page.

Just to make it even more complicated, Compiz has been largely replaced, I think by something called "Mutter". And X11 will be going away, to be replaced by either of two replacements.

Simple, no?
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; June 27th, 2013 at 04:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    OK, closing in on this. Just a few comments to keep it simple.

GTK (Gnu toolkit -- or Gnome toolkit?) is a programming interface. You'll never need to use it or install it, and ordinarily you don't need to be concerned with it. If you are told that a program is built with gtk or qt, however, that describes how the program looks.
    It also tells you what dependencies it will likely use (Gnome vs KDE). More info on GTK if anyone is interested can be found on their website.
    http://www.gtk.org/
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    It also tells you what dependencies it will likely use (Gnome vs KDE). More info on GTK if anyone is interested can be found on their website.
    http://www.gtk.org/
    OK, some more explanation.

Fortunately, with Linux you don't have to worry about dependencies, because they are handled automatically. ("Dependencies is a funny computerese way of specifying what components are required to run a program.)

Most programs come in one of two different types -- Gnome or KDE (Gnome uses GTK; KDE uses QT, but you don't have to write that down). The two types look a little different and the menus, etc. may act a little different. (Remember that KDE is a different desktop and looks different from Gnome.)

Ubuntu comes with Gnome programs, but don't let that stop you. Some of the best programs are KDE programs. If you want to install and use a KDE program (example: K3b), go right ahead. The first KDE program you install will cause a little extra stuff to be installed (not much, really), but that is ordinarily not any problem at all unless you are extremely low on disk space. It won't make any difference in the way your computer runs, and you might not even notice anything different about the KDE program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Linux is simply made up of frameworks. It takes 10 years to understand how the frameworks work together. And by that time, the frameworks will change.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Beans

Thanks

Bunch of framesworks and libraries, each doing their part.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by argvar View Post
    X11
    Nautilus
    Compiz
    gtk
    gnome
    unity

What the heck am I using in Ubuntu? All? What role does every one of those serve? I'm trying to make sense of all these terms and how the windowing system is built up.
    As a programmer, you seem to know very little about GNU/Linux. I am just a "stupid" Linux user, I know zilch about programming, hacking, compiling, you name it , and I seem to know more than you (I don't mean this in a bad way). You should start reading up about the "parts" of Linux.
    Registered Linux User #495429
    --
    AMD Athlon64 4000+ :: Asus A8V Deluxe :: 4 x 512 MB RAM :: Geforce 6600GT :: Xubuntu 10.04/Linux MInt 13 "Mate"/Windows XP Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The answers to the OP's questions are going to come from developer resources and (gasp!) books, not from a user forum.

Apple maintains considerable online resources explaining the OS X stack, for an alernative approach.

The use of Windows as the standard for goodness and beauty in software is,of course, incorrect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by argvar View Post
    I've been around long enough to know what Linux is, was using slackware with x11 back in 1996, but only for a short while as it was useless.
    Unless you wanted to run a Unix system. In that case, Slackware was very useful, whie DOS/Windows was a waste of time and money.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Unless you wanted to run a Unix system. In that case, Slackware was very useful, whie DOS/Windows was a waste of time and money.
    Indeed. I was buiilding routers and servers in 1996, first on Slack and later on RedHat (RPM was an enormous step forward). I guess my clients who were using these "useless" machines must have been deluded.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12