Thread: You can run Mixcraft 5 in Ubuntu! And other music tips.

Beans

Cool You can run Mixcraft 5 in Ubuntu! And other music tips.

I am new here and want to share with you folks a way to run Acoustica Mixcraft 5 in Linux. I have seen threads here that asked about this and they had no luck getting it running. Here is my tutorial:

http://cgi.bytebin.net/linux/audio/mixcraft.php

This was tested in Linux Mint 14 but since that's Ubuntu based I would assume it should work in Ubuntu 12.10 and higher (maybe even earlier versions of Ubuntu). The setup requires WINE and PlayOnLinux. I found it will let you register Mixcraft if you purchased it, use a MIDI keyboard, and also you can use VST plugin effects and VSTi Instruments!

I hope that everyone will find this useful in case some are still interested in running Mixcraft. Personally, I found that LMMS works just as well. I have a 64-bit machine and I got the VeSTige working (also in the Music section on that site).

In addition, if any of you have Prodyon's Phenome plugin and soundfonts, you can use the soundfonts in LMMS and QSynth as well. I found that you can create sound fonts in PolyPhone.

I think Linux can do just as good if not better for music production.
    Last edited by RavenLX; September 6th, 2013 at 04:27 AM.

Beans

Re: You can run Mixcraft 5 in Ubuntu! And other music tips.

Why on earth would you want to do that? Mixcraft is complete rubbish.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Thanx for sharing the details on how to use...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by RavenLX View Post
    I think Linux can do just as good if not better for music production.
    Sure it can. You can also run Reaper through Wine and LMMS directly in linux as you discovered. Take a look at Ardour, in my view a great application which is free contrary to Mixcraft.

Beans

The reason I'm sharing a way to run Mixcraft in Linux is for those who want to move from Windows to Linux and already purchased the program. It's expensive and one of the things that may keep folks from switching is realizing their programs they paid a lot of money for won't work and they don't want to learn a new program. So at least this way they can use their old favorites until they can get better acquainted with Linux and confident and comfortable enough to learn the Linux audio programs.

I already tried Ardour as well and that too is a great program. But I haven't figured out how to use VST plugins in it. LMMS I was able to use VST plugins and instruments in it so far.

I hope to try a number of things to see and learn how they work.