Thread: Should I risk installing Xubuntu on an easily overheating, BIOS-infected laptop?

Beans

Should I risk installing Xubuntu on an easily overheating, BIOS-infected laptop?

Good day good people!

My Windows Vista laptop seems to have a nasty BIOS-infection that makes it overheat even on live-cds.

The BIOS-updater requires Windows, and from within Vista, the new BIOS-file seems to miss overwriting and fixing crucial parts of the old.

A possible rescue scenario would be to install Linux and always run a CPU frequency scaling tool. This is currently working via my lightweight live-cd. It overruns the corrupt settings and lets me use the laptop fine.
    But without manual activation of the CPU-tool, the laptop easily overheats when put under stress.

The big question is:
    Will a Xubuntu install session likely be low-spec enough for the laptop to live through the installation?

Minor side question:
    And am I right thinking that a disrupted install procedure would screw the laptop up completely?

Thanks for your time. This post is not perfect. I'm under some stress. I wish you the best.

Beans

Re: Should I risk installing Xubuntu on an easily overheating, BIOS-infected laptop?

I would fix the laptop first, before I attempted to install Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Should I risk installing Xubuntu on an easily overheating, BIOS-infected laptop?

Why don't you reset the BIOS to the factory defaults.

(Find your lappy's manual for a how to)

If overheating persists, then it might be a hardware problem.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful