Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Munich to distribute Linux CDs to get people to ditch Windows XP

Beans

Re: Munich to distribute Linux CDs to get people to ditch Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    A nice test: do *you* dare to give Linux-CDs to your family, friends and neighbours, with the advice to install it to replace their WinXP?
    If we're talking about something stable, like say, Lucid, yeah, absolutely. I'd recommend gnome to mac users and kde to windows users, no genius there, no brainer.

If we're talking about Raring Ringtail, then no, I'd give them Lucid.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. C View Post
    This is really interesting since RAM is one of the more common limitations of old computers. How much RAM are we talking about here?
    The One Button Installer works without issues with 128MB RAM. I have not tested it with less, because Lubuntu needs at least that amount to be able to do something useful. Lubuntu might work for editing text and managing email via a dedicated interface at 128 MB. Browsing the web with Firefox will be extremely slow because of swapping to disk. And it will probably not work at all with Chromium-Browser. The other Ubuntu desktop flavours need more RAM. Lubuntu will work fairly well at 256MB as long as you have only one web page open each time, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    1) Hardware
    Though Lubuntu has modest requirements there is of course a lower limit. People have varying degrees of patience when waiting for a web page to load, but the following guidelines are a good rule of thumb:
    • Pentium II or older: Send to recycling.
    • Pentium III: Suitable for a command-line environment.
    • Pentium IV, Pentium M or newer: Upgrade to at least 512 MB, preferably 1 GB of memory. After that it is suitable for a graphical user interface (GUI).

For AMD processors a K7 is the baseline for reasonable performance, and the youngest members of the K7 family (like Athlon XP or Sempron) can support a light GUI. Again, 512 MB of memory is necessary, but 1 GB is a big improvement.

If the hardware does not meet these requirements, it’s not worth the effort. There is so much old (but still younger) hardware around that one can get for free or for a very modest amount. The system requirements of other operating systems are pushing more and more computers into the ‘old’ category even though they are in good working order.

Various websites might post lower requirements. Chances are they focus on the operating system itself, not the applications, which is very unfortunate as it only gives people a false hope. If you see something which looks too good to be true, it probably is ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i don't expect my computer to implode after april next year, so i will likely continue to use XP.
    Good point; a lot of people will probably not care that their WinXP is not updated anymore. Just like a lot of people who don't care that their computer is not virus-protected and possibly even virus infected.
    Last edited by sanderj; June 27th, 2013 at 02:29 PM.

Beans

Good point; a lot of people will probably not care that their WinXP is not updated anymore. Just like a lot of people who don't care that their computer is not virus-protected and possibly even virus infected.
    Yup; witness how difficult it was to get people to upgrade from IE6, even when IE7 and later were free downloads being pushed out by windows update.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i used windows 98 until about 2004 when i replaced it with windows XP and only because the win98 didn't want to recognise the 1GB DDR stick propperly. when i started working at this company i started with a P2 250 Mhz windows 98 maschine. they've upgraded it to XP (well it was a new computer) in 2005. i am stil on XP now. they might give me win7 or win8 next year (on a P4 with 1 GB ram) but then again they might not. we'll see. i am not really looking forward to it as i see other colleagues have issues with win7 install on these old mashcines. strange things are happening (like icons and links just dissapear etc.).

until now i had 1 nasty rootkit infection in windows 98 in the 90's and that's about it. antivirus and such toko care of the rest. well times might have changed now...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

here is a recent german link about it :
    Ab Montag, den 9. September, liegen diese CDs in der Münchner Stadtbibliothek am Gasteig sowie in allen Stadteilbibliotheken aus.
    Das Betriebssystem, das auf dieser CD vorhanden ist (Distribution Ubuntu 12.04), wird bis April 2017 aktualisiert. Nutzerinnen und Nutzer können damit ihren älteren Rechner weiterhin verwenden.
    http://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/Stadt.../linux_cd.html

Beans
    Hidden!

The original suggestion was to use Lubuntu, which suits very well for ageing Windows XP computers and their users. But Canonical staff decided to supply Ubuntu instead. I think the reason is that there is no LTS version of Lubuntu, and nine months is way too short life-time for the München project.

Unfortunately standard Ubuntu has too big foot-print for many of the ageing XP computers. If Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks had been delivered (as a tweaked respin), the chance of success would have been much greater (it allows switching between a good desktop environment for old computers and the modern Unity for newer computers).

The One Button Installer is made for similar situations, to replace Windows XP, but there is an important difference. It is intended for USB pendrives, and cannot be mass-distributed as boot CDs. A user should download the image file and flash it to a pendrive, which can be used by several people in the neighbourhood. Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks as well as Lubuntu and several other versions, flavours and respins of Ubuntu are available as tarballs (compressed tar files).
    Last edited by sudodus; September 14th, 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

There IS a much simplier solution : Keep your XP "as is" : no waste ...
    I do know persons still running Windows 98 Milennium edition.....
    They remain safe becaus no more viruses are written against these old-timers....

Beans

I like their idea of handing out free linux distros; but I worry that it may not help get people to like using Ubuntu (or whatever they decide to distribute). It may in fact have the opposite effect. Some people may take it home, install it instead of just testing it, and accidentally screw up there already functioning operating system.

Another thing I'd like to add is that not all XP computers will run Ubuntu/Lubuntu well. My oldest computer origionally came with Win 98 and was upgraded to XP. I decided to make it a Linux machine. Tried several different types aimed towards low resource computers. The newest Ubuntu based one I could get to work is Lubuntu 10.04, and even that is slow. Ended up using latest Puppy Linux. Now it runs nice and smooth. It only required a small save file on a hard drive or usb, etc. I think an OS like that may be a better one to hand out to people. It doesn't wipe, and install on the hard drive. So people with little computer knowledge (such as myself) can keep their old systems and programs they still use from time to time; and still have a safe, web browsing, linux system to use when needed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    The original suggestion was to use Lubuntu, which suits very well for ageing Windows XP computers and their users. But Canonical staff decided to supply Ubuntu instead. I think the reason is that there is no LTS version of Lubuntu, and nine months is way too short life-time for the München project.

Unfortunately standard Ubuntu has too big foot-print for many of the ageing XP computers. If Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks had been delivered (as a tweaked respin), the chance of success would have been much greater (it allows switching between a good desktop environment for old computers and the modern Unity for newer computers).
    Yeah I have no idea why they shoot themselves on the foot like that. Definitely Xubuntu is a better choice for aging hardware, or even Lubuntu (it is not like these machines will survive another LTS cycle anyway), what is the point of having a great promotion chance and then screw it up because OS wouldn't run on machines or run extremely slowly? So once more it risks giving the wrong the impression that Linux sucks to people who don't know about it.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 21st, 2013 at 09:17 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234