Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mir builds for Saucy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Mir builds for Saucy

Quote Originally Posted by jfernyhough View Post
    Plain U+1 is boringly stable... we need to add a random mix of pre-alpha PPAs just to have some fun!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXA32CHV6Sc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, I tried to get it running and failed. I just ended up with normal X. I am running xserver 1.14, though, which might not help (and I can't see fglrx playing nicely).
    1) Dell Studio 1749: i5 540 (2.5GHz), 8GB, ATi 5650, Intel 5300AGN XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    2) Lenovo X61: C2D T7200, 2GB, Intel HDA, iwlwifi, XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    3) Compaq Mini 311c: Atom N270 (OC@2.0GHz), 3GB, Nvidia ION, Broadcom G+BT XFCE@13.10x32

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jfernyhough View Post
    Mir has been building for Precise for a while, but now we have builds for newer releases - and most importantly for Saucy!

https://launchpad.net/~mir-team/+arc...s_filter=saucy

Patience...

Oh, a useful command in advance:

$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:mir-team/staging
    Thanks .. saved one busted machine already after removing and installing saucy filter.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just heads up: After excursion into Mir PPA and ppa-purge my LightDM goes into LowGraphicsMode... I'll sort that out, I hope, but just to report... Luckily I have GDM, startx, xinit, lot of other escape routes...
    Also, think about not using /etc/apt/preferences.d/50-pin-mir.pref file...
    Last edited by zika; June 26th, 2013 at 10:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Just heads up: After excursion into Mir PPA and ppa-purge my LightDM goes into LowGraphicsMode... I'll sort that out, I hope, but just to report... Luckily I have GDM, startx, xinit, lot of other escape routes...
    Also, think about not using /etc/apt/preferences.d/50-pin-mir.pref file...
    I tried a lot of these same things earlier on. Thanks for the reminders. I am not preaching at anyone or trying to discourage anyone but. so far, for desktops, it's been a real disappointment. I was very enthusiastic at first, the demos were interesting .. etc.. I guess I'll just keep watching.

regards
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Except for two cursors I did not have any complaints on Mir running on my machine... Browser, LO (latest prerelease), many apps were running effortlessly... Trouble with two cursors made me jump out of that train yesterday but I left my door open PPA is on only I do not use file /etc/apt/preferences.d/50-pin-mir.pref anymore so upgrades are not constrained to MirPPA... The only scar I have from that excursion is LightDM that now does not work... (see above)... But I'm sure I'll sort that out once I need to or get enough time to think about that... That scar prevents me from getting into mir again, though...

Beans
    Distro

Basically when they pulled the 'mir' binary everything went south after that. It was a real surprise for raring also. So , yesterday I used the saucy filter, removed the raring ppa;, installed the saucy ppa: and it busted. Removed the saucy ppa and I have that system recovered. whew...

umm.. I'll keep at it though

Chris Rogers said they removed the 'mir' binary because it was too confusing, but, now it is more confusing that ever !

2 cents worth
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - the meaning and origin of this saying.
    I like it and it works...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I found this in my inbox this morning, from Oliver Ries:

Hi,

My name is Olli Ries from Canonical and I am the Engineering Director for Unity and Mir. I wanted to give you an update on the roadmap for Ubuntu’s graphical stack over the next few releases.

Our Display Server Mir has gone from a proof of concept, sufficient to justify its announcement in March this year, to high quality, high performance component that we think will deliver the fastest, cleanest display experience for the Ubuntu platform. We are confident that all desktop environments and derivatives will work well throughout the transition, based on our ability to provide a full X compatibility layer.

Here is the roadmap and milestones for the Ubuntu graphics stack transition to Mir:

Ubuntu 13.10:
    XMir on Mir by default, with a fallback session to X where there is no Mir driver support, supported for 9 months

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
    XMir as default with the fallback session removed, full Mir driver support, traditional LTS support for 5 years

Ubuntu 14.10 and beyond:
    Mir stack as default, including rootless X support for legacy X applications, supported for 9 months

XMir: X & Unity7 running on top of the system compositor Mir
    Mir stack: Mir as system compositor with Unity 8 as session shell on top

Using Mir as a X compatible system compositor in 14.04 which can host any Desktop Environment that is running on X today, will allow all dependent Ubuntu derivatives to run on top of this stack in 13.10 and 14.04 without any changes needed on their side [1]. Canonical is committed to support XMir for 5 years during the 14.04 lifecycle, which will give derivatives enough time to evaluate the graphics stack landscape and to make informed decisions when they are ready.

There is good progress in getting XMir into a distro ready state. A PPA [2] was setup to allow early dogfooding, daily landing tests will be turned on for the full stack (XMir, X, Compiz, Unity), automated performance test results are about to be published on the Ubuntu QA dashboard, inclusion to universe is on it’s way and we are preparing the MIR (see what I did there for Mir ahead of Feature Freeze. Quality and ship criteria will be assessed and made available at that time.

However, please be aware that the PPA today is still tagged experimental/testing and will see rapid changes over the next couple of weeks. We will invite you for more widespread testing when ready.

Feel free to discuss any questions with the team directly here or on the mir-devel list.

Ubuntu will be the first Linux distribution to start replacing X as part of their default configuration. We appreciate your support and patience in that endeavor.

best,
    Olli

[1]: various flavors running unmodified on top of XMir - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h0m-ZjPxe8
    [2]: System Compositor Testing PPA - https://launchpad.net/~mir-team/+arc...ositor-testing

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Looks like the Mir team is growing up and baking faster than initially drawn
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM5NzM
    Last edited by dino99; June 28th, 2013 at 07:54 AM.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast