Thread: Dash search privacy

Beans

Dash search privacy

What is up with this spyware keylogger stuff?? Are they nuts?? My confidence in Ubuntu is down to nothing now. I got out of Windows because I was skeptical about it, and now this?

I managed to disable it, but now a question lingers in me because of this:

"Online Search
    You may restrict your dash so that we don’t send searches to third parties and you don't receive online search results. To do this go to the Privacy panel and toggle the ‘Include online search results’ option to off. The Privacy panel can be found in your System Settings or via a dash search. For a current list of our selected third parties, please see www.ubuntu.com/privacypolicy/thirdparties."
    Does this mean the key strokes are not sent to third parties, BUT ARE sent to Ubuntu?

This is very very murky.

But oh my god, who makes an OS with a built in keylogger that sends all key strokes to another party? I AM SAFE ON UBUNTU?

Beans

Re: Dash search privacy

OK, I installed Wireshark to make sure... and nothing is sent.

The privacy policy statement is obscure, "third party" is clearly amazon, but not ubuntu. Ubuntu is "second party", the end-user is "first part". So if the data is not sent to third party, are they then sent to second party (ubuntu)?

They need to rephrase this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by argvar View Post
    What is up with this spyware keylogger stuff?? Are they nuts?? My confidence in Ubuntu is down to nothing now. I got out of Windows because I was skeptical about it, and now this?

I managed to disable it, but now a question lingers in me because of this:

Does this mean the key strokes are not sent to third parties, BUT ARE sent to Ubuntu?

This is very very murky.

But oh my god, who makes an OS with a built in keylogger that sends all key strokes to another party? I AM SAFE ON UBUNTU?
    Only the keywords that are typed in the Unity Dash are recorded and sent to Amazon/Canonical to tailor the amazon shopping results to your computer. Other information (i.e. what you type in a word document) are not sent.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Problem is, Amazon equals to NSA.

Sending keywords and ip addresses.... in the world we live in today is blatant breach of privacy!