Thread: Web Server Problem Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

Web Server Problem Ubuntu 13.04

I recently built a web server that i am strictly using to manage my website for my business. I am running the Ubuntu 13.04 desktop. The website will display everything properly, however I am using some javascript code to run a scrolling banner on the top and bottom of the page and it will not scroll when typing in the website name. If i use the IP address, it will scroll as it is suppose to. Since it will function properly using the IP, i know that there is no problem with my actual code. Ive changed a few things in the apache2 config file that others have suggested, but nothing i am trying will work. Any helpful advice to get this to function properly would be great! Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: Web Server Problem Ubuntu 13.04

Could you provide some more details? I'd like to help, but it's hard telling what needs done without detailed descriptions of a problem...

Beans

What other details would you like? Honestly, I'm a little lost with what i can do reach some type of solution to this problem. Just doesnt make sense to me as to why my website banner will scroll properly when I type in the IP address into the URL, but when I actually use the website name, it doesnt work? It obviously has to be some sort of configuration problem with the server, but I don't have a clue where at though. I've setup everything in the Apache2 configuration file properly, but for some reason it's like the server isnt recognizing my javascript code.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bhennessee View Post
    but for some reason it's like the server isnt recognizing my javascript code.
    that sort of code runs client-side, in the browser, doesn't it ? I doubt server config has anything to do with it, unless your script does requests that the server can't interpret correctly (ip address vs hostname suggests issues with server name, so maybe DNS, maybe virtualhost config, maybe issues with paths to or URLs for the banner images , ...) and your script doesn't handle that and exits.

Quote Originally Posted by bhennessee View Post
    What other details would you like?.
    the script in question + some context about the general config of the web server (like, are you using vhost, ... ). Can you reach the banner by it's url (ie not from the scipt), ...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Personally, few things would make me leave a website faster than scrolling banners.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users