Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ubuntu 13.04, 9 months support???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ubuntu 13.04, 9 months support???

From what i read about it, it sounds like they decided to forget about it, and instead now consider the ubuntu development the unofficial "rolling release" and were planning on some kind of symlink to it so that you could just roll from one development version to the next without having to upgrade anymore...I also listened to the video conference discussions and it sounded like that is what essentially they had decided on...

If so, if you want rolling ubuntu, you will have to roll with development all the time...so, no i don't think they are planning on a stable rolling version at all...
    Last edited by craig10x; June 26th, 2013 at 04:03 AM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    From what i read about it, it sounds like they decided to forget about it, and instead now consider the ubuntu development the unofficial "rolling release" and were planning on some kind of symlink to it so that you could just roll from one development version to the next without having to upgrade anymore...I also listened to the video conference discussions and it sounded like that is what essentially they had decided on...

If so, if you want rolling ubuntu, you will have to roll with development all the time...so, no i don't think they are planning on a stable rolling version at all...
    So do you mean you roll from 13.04 to 13.10 by just "symlinking" to the new repositories but you need to do a fresh install or go through "normal" upgrade from 13.10 to 14.04?

Beans
    Distro

Well, you will be able to upgrade from stable 13.04 to stable 13.10 using the same upgrade method that has always been used, so that won't be changing (as far as going to one stable release to the next without doing a fresh install)...Where the change will be is that those who are running Saucy (13.10) will be able to simply "roll" into the next development version (14.04) by adding the symlink which will always point to the next development release...

If you add the symlink, then you would roll into 14.04, 14.10 etc....but if you don't add the symlink then your 13.10 development simply becomes the final version of 13.10 and you don't roll unless you go through the old "upgrade" process that development users have always had to do...The symlink won't be in there by default because they want you to have the option of deciding which way you want to go...
    However, once you add the symlink, that is a permanent change and you are in rolling development...

The symlink is really just an easy way to transition without all that extra bother of upgrading with several terminal commands, changing source lists, etc...which right now is rather a pain...so that pain would be eliminated

But yeah, if one wants to roll with ubuntu, he will have to do it by continuously remaining on the development version...The developers and Mark himself seem to feel that at this point in time, that the updates one gets in development has become stable enough for that to work...Of course being on development i suppose always subjects one to some risk...even now...

Hope that clears it up...i listened VERY carefully to what they said (LOL) and what i just outlined i believe is the "gist" of it...as it were...
    Last edited by craig10x; June 26th, 2013 at 05:56 AM.

Beans

Hello Abhimanyu !

Just found this topic, and seems that all of your questions have already been answered. Here's a very crude (and not necessarily entirely correct) explanation of LTS vs Non-LTS releases, trying to explain why the Non-LTS are supported for such a short term, just if you feel interested -
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12701351

PS:
    As already mentioned in the linked post, that's my personal understanding of things and I'm open for corrections.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

you can think of the different release types as Ubuntu's versions of Debian's release system
    LTS=Debian/stable
    Regular=Debian/unstable
    Beta=Debian/testing

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HiImTye View Post
    you can think of the different release types as Ubuntu's versions of Debian's release system
    LTS=Debian/stable
    Regular=Debian/unstable
    Beta=Debian/testing
    That's not even close to accurate.

Beans
    Distro

Right snowpine...its more like:
    LTS stable... Regular stable....Development....for this one i will make a debian comparison...similar to debian testing but more stable then that...mostly thanks to improvements in the quality control on the updates to it...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Kinda/sorta, but not quite. This answer is a couple years old, but I don't think anything has changed regarding how the different releases are grabbed from Debian.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/1147/...debian-testing
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Right snowpine...its more like:
    LTS stable... Regular stable....Development....for this one i will make a debian comparison...similar to debian testing but more stable then that...mostly thanks to improvements in the quality control on the updates to it...
    If you say so.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234