Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 13.04, 9 months support???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ubuntu 13.04, 9 months support???

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Thanks "odd job" i mean CharlesA....sorry i couldn't resist (an old james bond fan here....lol)
    I got you
    Lol. I never really paid him much attention, but I'm kinda hooked on using him as my avatar now.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I rremember reading somewhere in the forum that "upgrading" from 13.04 to 13.10 will only involve changing the sources list (kind of like Debian) and there is no need to "upgrade" in the present sense or fresh install, is that true?
    I'm not sure. I know I've tried that before and it's ended up a huge mess.

I do recall that method being used to bump a normal release to the development version, though.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/30276...13-04-to-13-10
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro

I rremember reading somewhere in the forum that "upgrading" from 13.04 to 13.10 will only involve changing the sources list (kind of like Debian) and there is no need to "upgrade" in the present sense or fresh install, is that true?
    Only if you want a broken system.

In the olden days (I'm talking 2006 and earlier here), that's actually what you had to do. In more recent times, upgrading has become a bit too complicated to work like that. Update Manager has the necessary smarts to deal with upgrades from one version to the next, but Apt can't do it on its own.

Even then, Update Manager seems to have some trouble because there are often people who complain that it doesn't work, however I've never actually had a problem. Probably because I don't do outrageous things to my operating system. Even if you believe Update Manager works, just changing your sources.list alone will probably break things.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

This has always been possible (and I've done it a few times); it's just not supported, recommended, or extensively tested.

Beans

i have upgraded to 13.04.....does any1 know when the next LTS version is going to release(i guess 14.04) ....i have seen the wiki provided it has details upto 13.10 release

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    24 April....wow thanks not too far

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yep...13.10 will be October 2013 and 14.04 (LTS) will be in April 2014...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Lol. I never really paid him much attention, but I'm kinda hooked on using him as my avatar now.

I'm not sure. I know I've tried that before and it's ended up a huge mess.

I do recall that method being used to bump a normal release to the development version, though.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/30276...13-04-to-13-10
    I know there have always been people who tried that, but what I meant was that I read somewhere that it may be the official way because Ubuntu's interim versions are going quasi-rolling and the 9 month support cycle is a part of it. I was asking whether there is any truth to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A rolling development release was a proposal in March, but I can't seem to find any updates. I take a wait and see approach to all things Ubuntu.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1228
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I know there have always been people who tried that, but what I meant was that I read somewhere that it may be the official way because Ubuntu's interim versions are going quasi-rolling and the 9 month support cycle is a part of it. I was asking whether there is any truth to it.
    Yeah. To by honest, I much prefer the Debian way of upgrading to the way Ubuntu does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    A rolling development release was a proposal in March, but I can't seem to find any updates. I take a wait and see approach to all things Ubuntu.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1228
    Indeed. I haven't heard anything else about that either.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast