Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting NFS shares hosted from Netapp.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Mounting NFS shares hosted from Netapp.

Well, my /etc/fstab entries for my NFS-exported shares (on a server running CentOS 5.8) look like this:

Code:
    server:/home  /media/homes nfs defaults,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 0 0
    I use a separate local /home and mount the server's /home at /media/homes. I always increase the buffer sizes to 32768 or even 65536 for performance reasons.

On the server, /etc/exports has
    Code:
    /home           192.168.0.0/16(rw,no_root_squash,async,insecure)
    I use async to improve performance. Insecure gets around a problem with clients that use a port > 1023, and no_root_squash lets me mount the share as the client's root user.

Of course the ordinary users listed in my /etc/passwd match those found in the server's /etc/passwd so that permissions are correct.

Does that help at all? This setup is pretty vanilla.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet007 View Post
    Actually no.. I never would have thought it was a bug. I assumed I was doing it wrong.. and actually I've had no one correct me of offer a correct way of mounting NFS shares in fstab. I got this far by googling and that's never a 100% certainty.
    I doubt this is a NFS server bug that could be addressed by Ubuntu launchpad as your NFS server is Netapp. I think you should first verify what the Netapp NFS exports are. I think we should have used the longer version of showmount. I have NFS exports on all my machines so I just use showmount -e from the host in question. You can explicitly show the Netapp Server with this long command
    Code:
    showmount -e <ipaddress_of_netapp_server>
    ... you can use either the hostname or FQDN or IP address. This should return something like this
    Code:
    showmount -e 192.168.1.2
    Export list for 192.168.1.2:
    /exports/rincon/egb_data 192.168.1.0/24
    /exports/rincon/rab_data 192.168.1.0/24
    You can also check the server this way
    Code:
    rpcinfo -p <ipaddress_of_netapp_server>
    This should return something like the following
    Code:
    rpcinfo -p 192.168.1.2
       program vers proto   port  service
        100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
        100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
        100024    1   udp  59615  status
        100024    1   tcp  39942  status
        100021    1   udp  45959  nlockmgr
        100021    3   udp  45959  nlockmgr
        100021    4   udp  45959  nlockmgr
        100021    1   tcp  50097  nlockmgr
        100021    3   tcp  50097  nlockmgr
        100021    4   tcp  50097  nlockmgr
        100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
        100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
        100003    4   udp   2049  nfs
        100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
        100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
        100003    4   tcp   2049  nfs
        100005    1   udp  51096  mountd
        100005    1   tcp  39510  mountd
        100005    2   udp  51096  mountd
        100005    2   tcp  39510  mountd
        100005    3   udp  51096  mountd
        100005    3   tcp  39510  mountd
    ...you can see the TCP ports for portmapper and nfs in the return I get for one of my NFS servers.

If the exports are correctly setup, as shown in the above showmount -e command, then you should be able to mount the NFS export with something like this
    Code:
    sudo mount -t nfs <displayed_export> <mount_point>
    ... The magic is all in the export created on the server. The client (your workstation) only mounts whatever the server exports.

In the end we need to see if you can see the Netapp exports so you can use that with the mount command. If you can get that to work it is easy to mount it via fstab.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see @SeijiSensei's reply. Some of what I have said he provided earlier.
    Last edited by redmk2; June 26th, 2013 at 03:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Guys:

here's my showmount -e results:

bhart@MI00320-1:~$ showmount -e 10.2.1.72
    Export list for 10.2.1.72:
    /vol/vol0/eng (everyone)
    /vol/vol0/pd (everyone)
    /vol/root (everyone)
    /vol/vol0/cnc (everyone)
    /vol/vol4/Avtec (everyone)
    /vol/vol0 (everyone)
    /vol/vol1 (everyone)
    /vol/vol2 (everyone)
    /vol/vol3 (everyone)
    /vol/vol4 (everyone)
    /vol/vol3/MIS 10.2.6.0/24
    /vol/vol0/web (everyone)
    /vol/vol0/custom (everyone)
    /vol/vol0/tweb (everyone)
    /vol/vol0/eweb (everyone)
    /vol/vol0/groen (everyone)
    /vol/vol4/ARCHIVE1 (everyone)
    /vol/vol0/nov1 (everyone)

The export in question being the MIS one, the clients I'm trying to mount on are (verified) in that subnet. When I first started down this road, i had 'All Hosts' enabled for RW for this export which would've been 'everyone' like the others. But when it didnt work I started trying other things.
    Linux User #447256

Beans
    Distro

The sudo mount -t nfs netapp:/vol/vol3/MIS /home/bhart/mounts/mis returns an 'access denied by server while mounting'
    Linux User #447256

Beans
    Distro

Does the NetApp generate logs? Do they show anything useful?
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans
    Distro

Useful? Not at all. I've checked the Syslogs after every umount and mount.. both from fstab and manually. And when trying to access the data (which is where the access denied message comes into play)
    Linux User #447256

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Useful? Not at all. I've checked the Syslogs after every umount and mount.. both from fstab and manually. And when trying to access the data (which is where the access denied message comes into play)
    Clarify please! Before you said: "returns an 'access denied by server while mounting' ". Now you are saying: "And when trying to access the data (which is where the access denied message comes into play). These are 2 different things. Does it mount? Do you have permission to access the file or directory. it is possible to have success with the first and not the second item.
    Last edited by redmk2; June 28th, 2013 at 01:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I'm sorry, I did make a change on a whim and the share mounts now.

See before I had read how in mounting an NFS share you should put server:\share and NOT put server:\path\to\share.

So what I did was change that after seeing the showmount -e display the full path, i.e. vol\vol3\MIS, so I change the line in fstab to match from netapp:\MIS to netapp:\vol\vol3\MIS

I have a thread about this going on on ExpertsExchange to so I got confused on which one I updated. But yes the share mounts now however I get "you do not have permissions to view the contents of this folder" The line right now is:

10.2.1.72:/vol/vol3/MIS /home/bhart/mounts/mis2 nfs hard,rw,auto,noatime,nolock,bg,nfsvers=3,intr,tcp, rsize=32768,wsize=32768 0 0

And as you can see above everyone on the 10.2.6 subnet has R/W perms.
    Linux User #447256

Beans
    Distro

Yes, but they also need to have the proper Unix permissions on the specific directories as well. Setting NFS to rw means that users can write to the share, but they can still only write to shares to which they have permissions as controlled by their Unix by user and group IDs.

Does the NetApp run something like idmapd? I usually just maintain identical copies of /etc/passwd on the server and client, but that may not be an option for you.

The simplest solution may be to put all the users in a common Unix group and grant the group write permissions on the shared directory.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm sorry, I did make a change on a whim and the share mounts now.
    That's nice to know. It make diagnosis so much easier. LOL

See before I had read how in mounting an NFS share you should put server:\share and NOT put server:\path\to\share.
    I think you are confusing Samba (SMB-CIFS) share with NFS exports. They are not the same thing, nor are the expressed the same manner. That's one of the reasons I don't use the term shares when talking about NFS exports. The Samba share is //SERVER/SHARE and the NFS export is hostname:path/to/nfs/export/directory.

So what I did was change that after seeing the showmount -e display the full path, i.e. vol\vol3\MIS, so I change the line in fstab to match from netapp:\MIS to netapp:\vol\vol3\MIS

I have a thread about this going on on ExpertsExchange to so I got confused on which one I updated. But yes the share mounts now however I get "you do not have permissions to view the contents of this folder" The line right now is:

10.2.1.72:/vol/vol3/MIS /home/bhart/mounts/mis2 nfs hard,rw,auto,noatime,nolock,bg,nfsvers=3,intr,tcp, rsize=32768,wsize=32768 0 0

And as you can see above everyone on the 10.2.6 subnet has R/W perms.
    I'll let @ SeijiSensei help you sort out the file permissions and user ID's. His description is perfectly stated. I will make a comment though about UID's and GID's being consistent across the LAN. It is very helpful to do that. This way the mortal user (you) is correctly identified no matter what host you are logged into. I manually do that on my home network and use a common group with group inheritance. If you have a lot of hosts that you administer then you should consider using a centralized system of user ID's. It can be as simple as NIS. My take on that would be that if you have a small installation go with NIS. If you have such a large install base I would seriously consider a commercial LDAP/Kerbros/Bind9 solution. My favorite (and the most expensive) is Novell's eDirectory.

Edit: Now that I think of it, you are the administrator and you have a nice shiny NetApp Filer in your network. You must have some sort of centralized user management. If not, I'd put in a requisition tomorrow for eDirectory and be done with it. Or maybe you should talk to your senior IT engineer first. What do you think?
    Last edited by redmk2; June 28th, 2013 at 11:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast