Thread: Supporting the installation of Ubuntu 13.04 on AMD machines

Beans

Question Supporting the installation of Ubuntu 13.04 on AMD machines

My system configuration is AMD Athlon II X2 processor 2.9 Ghz , 2 GB DDR3 RAM, 256 MB AGP Card and 250 GB HDD.

I want to know whether my processor can run Ubuntu 13.04 on my machine. I also heard that Ubuntu 13.04 is not able to support the multi-core processor fully. Is that true?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Supporting the installation of Ubuntu 13.04 on AMD machines

I don't think Unity will run very well with those specs. You may want to try L/X/K-ubuntu (in order from lightest to heaviest load).

Lubuntu
    Xubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Last edited by HeroOfCanton; June 24th, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
    My very own riot?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I also heard that Ubuntu 13.04 is not able to support the multi-core processor fully. Is that true?
    No,that is not true.

Your processor is fine,memory is ok,what is the make and model of your video card?

13.04 uses compiz,so if your video card cannot run compiz,then your system will run slowly.
    Download Ubuntu iso and burn a DVD or USB installer and try it on your system.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasanna View Post
    My system configuration is AMD Athlon II X2 processor 2.9 Ghz , 2 GB DDR3 RAM, 256 MB AGP Card and 250 GB HDD.

I want to know whether my processor can run Ubuntu 13.04 on my machine. I also heard that Ubuntu 13.04 is not able to support the multi-core processor fully. Is that true?
    Your system is similar to the one I'm typing this one. I have a slower processor and 4 GB. RAM. The only possible question I see is the graphics card RAM. My video card has 512 MB. RAM. As others have said, create a live CD/DVD/USB and see how you get along. My notebook has Intel graphics and I think it sets 256 MB. RAM aside for graphics use and it runs Unity & gnome-shell just fine. Support multi-core processors? Oh yeah. This is 13.10 64 bit.
    monitor.png
    Last edited by kurt18947; June 24th, 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasanna View Post

The processor is never a problem with Linux. The only way you can tell if your computer will work fine with Linux, is to try it. You can boot up your computer from the Ubuntu CD and try it out risk-free, and when you find that it all works you can install Ubuntu. Chances are that your computer is compatible.

I don't know where you heard that Ubuntu 13.04 doesn't support multi-core processors fully. That's a bit ridiculous! Let me assure you, Linux systems are almost ideally designed for a multiprocessing environment.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

I have been running Ubuntu on a dual core processor since Ubuntu 7.04 and I have run every version since then including 13.04. If there is any issue with Ubuntu not being able to make full use of a processor's capabilities, then the responsibility lies with the developers of the Linux kernel and the issue would affect all Linux distributions.

What we do not have in Linux is utilities provided by the motherboard manufacturers. So, some utilities that are available in some other OS are not available in Linux. For example, the motherboard came with a Windows utility to update the BIOS from within Windows. But I did not get a Linux version of this utility. So, I cannot update the BIOS from within Ubuntu. This is a different matter entirely.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have similar specs on this computer withe exception of graphics and hard-rive space I have been using and using 13.04 since beta . I have re installed the final release as well.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual