Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Launcher placement annoys me

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    Linux is not to everyones taste.
    Good Luck.
    Indeed. I know people who love Windows, those who can't be without their Mac and those who love Linux.

I'm a Windows/Linux kinda guy...
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by argvar View Post
    I've been trying out the Cairo Dock. It looks nice.

Anyway, obviously, I don't want the unity launchpad AND the Cairo Dock at the same time. I logged with Cairo Dock instead of Ubuntu Unity. Problem with that is all sorts of features are gone and other problems pop up... ALT-TAB no longer works! I only see one screen in the workplaces. Some applications don't have any icons.

Bleh... I'm back to Ubuntu's default Unity... or I hope at least... I've been installing and removing tons of stuff, have no idea how to get back to anything "default".

I simply can't be bothered with this anymore, gonna do something else with my time

Again why not try Kubuntu?
    In its own right its 20 times more flexible then Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@argvar: that is why it's best to use unity as it is...I simply set mine to auto-hide...move the auto hide sensitive up about 2 notches on the lever...reduce the size to 38 pixels and throw on about 5 favorites and 5 frequently used apps and use dash search for anything else (which isn't all that often)...and that's right after install....then leave it alone and just go about your business on ubuntu...
    Why drive yourself nuts?

As far as the suggestion to use kubuntu...do you REALLY want something on linux that looks and works a lot like windows? Aren't you here for something different and unique? If not you might as well just stay on windows...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    @argvar: that is why it's best to use unity as it is...I simply set mine to auto-hide...move the auto hide sensitive up about 2 notches on the lever...reduce the size to 38 pixels and throw on about 5 favorites and 5 frequently used apps and use dash search for anything else (which isn't all that often)...and that's right after install....then leave it alone and just go about your business on ubuntu...
    Why drive yourself nuts?

As far as the suggestion to use kubuntu...do you REALLY want something on linux that looks and works a lot like windows? Aren't you here for something different and unique? If not you might as well just stay on windows...
    Yea, I agree.

I have virtualbox and I have been trying out tons other Linux distros.. .but honestly... most other linux distros make my eyes just hurt. When people say "it's just like windows" I just roll my eyes... because from what I've seen it's NOTHING like windows. KDE is just pure ugly IMO, sorry but that's my my honest opinion.

But as you truly said, I'm not searching for a windows, if i wanted windows i'd have stayed in windows.

At least Canonical made a okay look n' feel, namely "Radiance", the default one is too dark.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Interesting you mentioned about preferring Radiance over the default dark theme (ambiance)...i forgot to mention that's the other thing i do when i first install, change it to that...i think it looks much nicer that way also

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post

KDE doesn't have to feel and work like Windows, you can actually configure it to look like Unity (There is even something call homerun to imitate the dash, though it is kind of "dumb" with only very primitive serach capability).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEXk-ClMO-8

but then of course some people would make it look really ugly like Windows XP and say that they have the best DE.
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/k...r-windows/1185
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 27th, 2013 at 02:55 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by argvar View Post
    Yea, I agree.

I have virtualbox and I have been trying out tons other Linux distros.. .but honestly... most other linux distros make my eyes just hurt. When people say "it's just like windows" I just roll my eyes... because from what I've seen it's NOTHING like windows. KDE is just pure ugly IMO, sorry but that's my my honest opinion.

But as you truly said, I'm not searching for a windows, if i wanted windows i'd have stayed in windows.

At least Canonical made a okay look n' feel, namely "Radiance", the default one is too dark.

Shame you dont find KDE attractive as it will solve all your issues.
    Though Kubuntu's treatment of KDE is rather lackluster.
    But its easy enough to prettyfy

Beans

Since no one else has mentioned it, you might as well give Gnome Shell a try if you are playing around with virtual machines. It is modern and nice-looking but is a bit more customizable than Unity with the extensions. For example, it doesn't include a taskbar or categorized applications menu by default, but you can add these easily (and they are officially supported extensions). The Tweak tool is your friend in Gnome Shell.

Another option is Cinnamon, which is a Gnome 3 based DE that retains the Gnome 2 style desktop layout, with a traditional taskbar and applications menu.

Linux is all about choice. If you really don't like Unity, there are plenty of other options to try. Don't shy away from them just because they are not the default in Ubuntu. In fact, there are four Ubuntu spin-offs which are basically Ubuntu with a different desktop environment, so if you use one of these you have the advantage of having a distro designed around your DE of choice. These are Kubuntu with KDE, Lubuntu with LXDE, Xubuntu with XFCE, and Ubuntu Gnome with Gnome Shell. If you like Cinnamon, Linux Mint (still basically Ubuntu) uses that as its default desktop environment.
    Last edited by montag dp; June 28th, 2013 at 02:59 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234