Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This toggle button is confusing

Beans

This toggle button is confusing

Which is it?? I don't understand this button.

Does it mean that it is currently in ON state? Or OFF state?
    Does it mean that by pressing it I will enable ON state or disable ON state?

This is probably the most confusing UI element I've ever seen in my life.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: This toggle button is confusing

Quote Originally Posted by argvar View Post

Which is it?? I don't understand this button.

Does it mean that it is currently in ON state? Or OFF state?
    Does it mean that by pressing it I will enable ON state or disable ON state?

It means that it's in the "On" state.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It's only confusing if you think it through too much. I have the same issue with play/pause buttons on players. Is the icon I am seeing the current state or the effect if I press the button.

But in this case if it is not immediately obvious that the button is in the ON state, just click on it, it will become obvious then that it had been disabled.
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans

I think it's an unnecessarily obscure way of conveying a simple choice between two states.

I come from Windows and I've never seen this presentation there.

Already I have forgotten how this button works. I guess bookmarking this page will help.

IMO it utterly fails in user testing, I think probably 40-60% of users will guess wrong what it does without having seen this type of button before. It is supposed to be intuitive and without-thought-easy to understand how it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think it's an unnecessarily obscure way of conveying a simple choice between two states.

Already I have forgotten how this button works. I guess bookmarking this page will help.

IMO it utterly fails in user testing, I think probably 40-60% of users will guess wrong what it does without having seen this type of button before. It is supposed to be intuitive and without-thought-easy to understand how it works.
    If it were me, I'd click it just to see!

"Intuitive" is fairly subjective, actually. [The debate between Unity lovers and Unity haters is a case in point!] Mostly, we like what we're used to. Give yourself some time to explore and learn your new system.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

It is pretty obvious. But then too much Windows may be bad for brain cells.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It was obvious to me when it first came out.

Actually, Canonical does put their interface through a lot of user testing and make changes accordingly. Their data is probably a little more accurate than your estimate

Apparently, Samsung thought this slider style was intuitive enough. They adopted it for their Galaxy phones, which are I believe the second most popular smart phone series available...
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

... the one I hate is the padlock icon in the 'User Accounts' tool (shows an UNlocked padlock when the setting is locked, which toggles to a LOCKED padlock when you unlock it)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's not really that obscure, I've seen switches like that in real life, and the Android 4 settings panel has switches exactly the same.

If the words confuse you, then just look at the highlight. If it's lit up (Orange), it's on. If it's not lit (Grey) it's off.

Canonical and Google both do user testing, and I have to admit that I never even noticed a potential for confusion until you brought it up.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

and that is not the most exaggerated statement I have seen or heard. Plenty of people have made statements that are more exaggerated than that. Exaggeration for the sake of emphasis, I except. But exaggeration for the sake of insult I discount as prejudiced thinking.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast