Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This toggle button is confusing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: This toggle button is confusing

It is more intuitive than option boxes. Nearly everyone knows how to use switches. People accustomed to option boxes are the minority.

Also, when it is On it uses the Selected color, and when it is off it does not. It is pretty obvious.
    Last edited by vexorian; June 26th, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    It is more intuitive than option boxes. Nearly everyone knows how to use switches. People accustomed to option boxes are the minority.

Also, when it is On it uses the Selected color, and when it is off it does not. It is pretty obvious.
    I don't agree with that.

[ ] Allow Canonical to snoop on my searches.
    [X] Allow Canonical to snoop on my searches.

Which is on and off? Dead obvious. Check boxes are everywhere, on the web, in other operating systems. Why re-invent the wheel in a form of a cube?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Learned.

Behavior.

Both major phone OSes use a variation on this widget. Left for off, right for on, seems to be the going convention. It's not necessarily a good idea to use it in a desktop OS, but it's certainly not reinventing anything.

And it is Gnome's idea, not Ubuntu's - Ubuntu couldn't remove all the toggle buttons from the Gnome settings screens they don't design, at least not without a lot of work. They do implement a different UI theme, but the "switch," as it's apparently called, isn't an image or something; the theme can just specify colors, sizes, etc. For consistency, it makes sense for Ubuntu to use it in their own components, too.

The theme I'm currently using doesn't use the words On and Off, though - it just slides and lights up in the Select color when active. So at least there's no contradiction.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

For touchscreen some sort of slider button makes sense, but desktop is not touchscreen, it's mouseclick.
    Although I think they should somehow show the "OFF" in a disabled state, like being occluded by a semi-transparent overlay.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually, the Red and Green distinction would probably work well in cultures where red means stop and green means go. Splash the appropriate color behind the right word, and fade the option that isn't active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Huh. Certainly less ambiguous. I'm not sure about the idea of introducing new colors into the interface, though. And it's weird to have a switch that switches from "On is active" to "Off is active," if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by argvar
    For touchscreen some sort of slider button makes sense, but desktop is not touchscreen, it's mouseclick.
    Well, it makes more sense to emulate physical controls on a touchscreen, at least. The slider buttons on the phone OSes do respond to just tapping them, too.

As long as there's at least one switch on and one switch off in a given screen, the sliders read fairly well without the labels at all:

I actually think that removing the text completely makes it easier to read, since it falls back on "the little light means on."

"Show the off in a disabled state" ... Like this?

This seems not to help. = /

Playing around with it, I really can't seem to make anything less ambiguous. Rocker buttons are out, since they're really too 3D to make sense in a UI context, and the solution of shrinking the switch and putting On and Off on the sides like you said is unambiguous, but not exactly pretty. One might consider 1 and 0 instead, but it's still kludgy.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; June 27th, 2013 at 01:40 AM.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post

This seems pretty obvious to me. On switches are colored and have "ON" in bold. Most people should be able to figure that out easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Now that you say that, I realize I had it backwards. This works:

Last edited by Copper Bezel; June 27th, 2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Image edited for slightly even less suck.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, at least they didn't use the I and O symbols. I always think, "in and out"??? My DH says they mean open and closed circuits, (or is it closed and open???) but I can never remember which is which.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    This seems pretty obvious to me. On switches are colored and have "ON" in bold. Most people should be able to figure that out easily.
    Well if you are colour blind you would be more confused for seeing both "on" and "off".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast