Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Ubuntu lost it's Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Has Ubuntu lost it's Ubuntu?

All I have to say is that I've been running Ubuntu 12.04.2LTS on a HP nc8230 that I bought used for $125 bucks and it's been running as worry free as the $1200(in 2002)iMac that I had for over 11 years at 1/10th the price. I'm 100% Sold Out to Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular. I've checked out a lot of Dirtros but Ubuntu seems to be the one that really "feels" right to me and you can't beat the price, FREE.
    I honestly don't know how these Linux guys do it, turn out great Op Systems an they do it for free. Only thing I can think is that they simply Love computers and Op Systems and do it our of passion for the art of creating something great for the rest of us to use. God Bless the Linux Community. I've never seen so many different "flavours" of an Op System all taylor made to fit whatever a person would want to do with one. Windows Sucks, Mac is nice but pricey and LINUX RULES!
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just want everyone to know, I checked and Microsoft lost their Microsoft, so this isn't an isolated event. Carry on.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    I just want everyone to know, I checked and Microsoft lost their Microsoft, so this isn't an isolated event. Carry on.
    Apple has definitely lost its Apple as well.

Wouldn't it be funny if Canonical became the new Microsoft, Microsoft the new Apple and Apple the new Canonical?

... scary
    // Blog

Beans

I don't think so, Ubuntu had to evolve and I think its in a positive direction.

Beans

Since I started using Breezy Badger, Ubuntu has changed alot. I'm a chocoholic, so the brown didn't bother me too much. Ubuntu went from being an OS that just works to being an OS that wants to look good.

This is because computing has changed over the last 5 years. With XP people were happy with things looking OK and working, but then Apple came along and introduced "shiny". Things looked nice, but often at the expense of usability and the high graphics slowed computers down. Microsoft had to do something about that, because they feared people would move over to a shiny OS, so they made their OS shiny too. Many non-technical consumers became more concerned about looking trendy and didn't understand that shiny comes at the expense off efficiency.

Cannonical had a choice, remain an ugly OS that just works or become shiny like all the big players. Ubuntu went for the shiny option and this caused them to lose the part of their community that wanted a "just works" option. In the long term it might attract people who like shiny things, but many people have already jumped ship.

How has the community changed? Launchpad used to send free cd's to people. That cost money but it made things exciting, especially new users. Things like that are important to get people hooked.

For a while the Ubuntu forums got very strict, with many topics getting shut down or buried. This made it almost impossible for people to voice their concerns about many things without accidently breaking the code of conduct

The focus seemed to move from just a desktop/laptop operating system to things like Juju, Ubuntu Mobile, TV etc. So people don't really know which direction Ubuntu is going because it seems to be going in all different directions.

Some of the responses from the top, to the community's valid concerns about change have been quite rude, like the community doesn't matter anymore because their plans are so much better
    Last edited by mr john; June 26th, 2013 at 08:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow Re: Has Ubuntu lost it's Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by ikt View Post
    Apple has definitely lost its Apple as well.

Wouldn't it be funny if Canonical became the new Microsoft, Microsoft the new Apple and Apple the new Canonical?

... scary
    It would indeed! However,would anyone notice?
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who is also exploring Minecraft. Want to join us? Let us know.

http://linuxinternationals.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for pointing out the Compiz-plugins that's kind of cool Still I'm yerning for the days of old I guess where Ubuntu was one big community of users. I have to agree with most (if not all of the posts I've read since my own, even had a laugh at Microsoft losing it's microsoft and apple losing it's apple. Don't think it would look very good without the apple logo) Anyway, I know that canonical is a BUSINESS and as a business it has certain limitations. I just hate to see organizations that are founded on goals, give those goals away because "that's not how the rules work." A lot of people who just use the OS don't take a look behind the scenes and a lot of people do but back in the day it wasn't just translations Ubuntu was asking from the community, they were asking the community itself to shape the OS, to plan for it. I mean there were actual places in the sites worded along the lines of, You don't have to be a programmer to help. Contribute this, contribute that. It's nice to see that Ubuntu is all-grown-up. It's lost it's training wheels and this isn't a hate on new technology. I contributed my fair share of ideas and a few flame wars to the community Anyways, it's more about, now that Ubuntu has reached it's grown-up stage, my question is, is it going to keep shaping itself with the community of users or is it going to make itself bland and try to conform to the most amount of people out there (that would be the business rules). It's happened to every major OS since inception too. It's usually followed by no new ideas but respins of the same old technology, the same technology that everyone is used to and no one has to relearn (no hate here) but look at Windows AND Mac AND Android. Same old concepts with the same old ideas, maybe a new spin from time to time. People who've never had smartphones, wouldn't like Windows 8 over 7 and below. People who've never had Apple, wouldn't get the change from Android 2 to 4. Android from 2 to 4 had the same olf UI concepts though except you can now make folders on your device. . . Ubuntu's UI, though taking some work to get used to hasn't changed majorly in a few releases. It's gained a few plugins along the way and changed media players a time or two, some debate has gone into default programs included. Those are all monumentus steps to take. I mean it's a business and any bad move could cost you sales. I'm just missing the innovative days where they were like "test this for us, and tell us what all goes wrong.", "give us your input.", "Tell us where you'd like to see it go." and then there was some crazy, half-thought, brilliant idea waiting to pop out in the next release that NOONE saw coming LOL.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Android 2 to 4 ... really? Those changes seem kinda big - not Windows 8 big, but big. The changes between 2.x and 4.x were mostly about losing the Apple-inspired chrome and language and taking on a uniquely Android look, then spreading into the tablet world. Then there's the introduction of the Chrome browser and other little bits of desktopiness, Google's rejection of hardware buttons and attempts to reign in fragmentation, etc., all happening during 4.x.

People who'd never had smartphones would be baffled but slightly amazed by Windows 8 on a tablet, I think. That said, "Microsoft losing its Microsoft" should have been "Windows losing its windows," because, you know. = )

Unity was certainly introduced as a "hey, this is insane, try it out" feature in 10.10, when it was Mutter-based and didn't come installed by default. I guess the packaged and processed product we're being promised in Unity Next is a very different thing, so I see the change you're talking about - and of course, there's the bit where the "Linux for human beings" tag was dropped.

But it does seem inevitable even ignoring "professional" style. You move from a niche OS where a fair percentage of its users are hackers in their own right to an OS that actually has some traction in everyday use, while simultaneously moving to realize goals that separate the way that OS works from the mainstream of Linux distros, and the "input" from that user base is likely to be rather less useful. That's not to say that the same people with something to contribute aren't still in there, though you can't expect all of them to follow Ubuntu through its changes, but there's a hell of a lot of us riff-raff out here, now.
    ~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I used Ubuntu from edition 8, overall by that stage the colour scheme we now see was in use but I must say that the brown colour was not a good ting ascetically at least for myself. I much prefer the latest colour in use.

Beans

Ubuntu lost it's Ubuntu ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Dude! Relax a bit. If you speak whatever language it is (Chinese comes to mind) then go download one of those distros and put it on your box.
    The result would be chinese make their own thing - they can not use our software and we can not use the chinese one

I'm using a desktop with a decent dual-head video card, 2x24-inch monitors, an i7 processor, 6 slots full of hardware, SATA ports all used up, usb ports all used up.
    ok, but what is with the people do not want or can not buy such hardware? the question was lost ubuntu its ubuntu
    is it useabe for cheaper hardware, too; is it possible to use it without wasting energy?

I'm not using a phone. I want an OS for a desktop, not one for a phone.
    Affirmative
    I want to be able to put whatever I want on there.
    so it fits all ;confused

There can be many standard starting points. Ubuntu has a dozen or so variants, Lubuntu is ultra light weight and suitable for smaller systems. Xubuntu is nice and simple, similar to a normal PC desktop. They all come from the same source, they're all in the Ubuntu package manager. If none of those strike your fancy, then go try another non-Ubuntu Debian variant, or Debian itself, or maybe some distro not spawned from Debian. They have more in common with Ubuntu than you seem to think.
    every Distro needs a lot of work - thats why it would work much better if there is less

At one point Henry Ford sold six times as many cars as everyone else combined. You could have any color you wanted, as long as it was black. You had one car, and it was cheap. Then other companies started adding some luxuries and different colors, and Ford's sales were cut in half in a matter of months. One size fits all does not work. Not if there are any other reasonable choices available.
    Linux for itself is exotic. We could discuss a lot more about cars or for example the campatibility of suzuki motorbikes.

Regarding bugs, and how a distro works:
    The operating system is the kernel. Bugs there are fixed by the guys who work on the kernel. Anything called Linux gets a fresh kernel every so often and so those changes trickle out to absolutely any Linux distro whose managers want to get them.

Everything else is service layer or application layer. Most of that is upstream development, not Ubuntu and not Canonical. Bugs fixed in Firefox are fixed by mozilla.org guys, not by Canonical. Bugs fixed in apache web server are fixed by apache.org guys, not by Canonical.
    Thank u for explaining to us.

Canonical chooses which kernel version to use, which kernel options to compile with, which apps to include, which window manager/desktop arrangement to use, which filesystem standard to use, which platforms to support. They compile all the apps with the standard settings they chose, add some artwork and one or two special tools, they test it to make sure it's working, and they release it to you. Other distros are out there too, and those guys do the same thing with different priorities and different opinions, and that makes a different distribution.
    u forgot something

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast