Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Ubuntu lost it's Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Has Ubuntu lost it's Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    ...begging the users (in a nice way) to contribute with translations, keyboard layout, ideatorrents, names and art suggestions...
    While important, I think those have to be considered peripheral areas in a Linux distribution. What's not peripheral is the code, and users, by definition, can't contribute there.

... tinkering then was what made the OS innovative...
    It was innovative because it took usability seriously, because it wasn't satisfied with sub-par font rendering, and because it paid a bit of attention to themeing. But, it ran Gnome 2. That was a smart choice, but it wasn't terribly innovative.

If you want an organization that commits to releases on a fixed schedule, that commits to a certain level of support for customers who pay for that support, that commits to certain professional standards, then that organization needs to be able to replenish the resources it uses to meet those commitments. In this world, those kind of resources are bought and sold for cash.

All-volunteer distributions, like Debian, cannot make a commitment to release on a fixed schedule, and perhaps none of the other commitments.

Beans

Regarding the video, all that stuff was really cool but frankly people who set their computers up like that didn't get any work done.

I thought it was great, but the most I ever had going for a long period of time was the jello windows. That was distracting enough, but for some reason I got endless joy out of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red face Re: Has Ubuntu lost it's Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Regarding the video...

That video is like a laundry list of all the useless and annoying effects I always turn off in any distribution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Ubuntu of now is even more poised to be comparable tit-for-tat with Apple, Microsoft and soon Google products. The old Ubuntu was not.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    That video is like a laundry list of all the useless and annoying effects I always turn off in any distribution.
    Agreed. I did always use wobbly windows, but only for the maximize animation. I ended up changing around the window animations quite a bit, but God, I worry when i think about the possibility that some people actually used that "burn" animation. So very silly.

ki4jt, you're very much underestimating how much I've messed with Compiz settings in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jt
    I installed compiz settings manager to do most of this stuff myself but could the packages possibly be updated to do this? Is Unity compatible with these features now?
    The Cube still works, although not with 3D windows. I don't think you understood my point with the transparency plugin - it has not changed, and I'm Alt-scrolling transparency right now. Did you install compiz-plugins-extra?

Odd that nothing seems missing (save for the godawful "burn" animation), just broken. Setting some of these things crashes Unity, but re-running it from a VT brought it back with the plugins enabled. I did see one segfault.

But yeah, these things existed totally independent of Ubuntu and stopped working because Compiz pretty much died as a project, not because of anything Canonical did. Hiring on one of the remaining Compiz devs may not have helped, but it wouldn't preclude him from working on the project in his free time. You're bemoaning changes in the Linux desktop world, not Ubuntu. (That applies to modular desktops, too.)

I did used to really like trailfocus until it broke, although the baked-in equivalent in Gnome Shell and GTK3 is better. Sad that, like so many things that depend on all apps being GTK3, it'll never actually be consistent. I enabled trailfocus just now, for kicks, although I know it'll stop working the next time I stop thinking about it.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; June 25th, 2013 at 01:59 AM.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have an OQO model 02 and have Intrepid and Precise on the machine and see the point that is being made BUT

I actually find it is just as easy to configure, but new knowledge is required for how to do that. Stuff just usually works now for most people. MP4 files never played by default in the old days and some people here would get all annoyed i wasn't using ogg. I remember having an argument with someone in the forums around Dapper/Edgy times because he thought i was lame for wanting to use the gui method for installing an ATI or Broadcom driver rather than typing loads of crap into a terminal: holy TRS80, Batman. Vision is our dominant sense

Case in point: The open source radeon driver works by default BUT one can add options to xorg to make the GPU run cooler because Linux folks are working on some of the power saving features without third party crap like the other OS's. Terminal is still there and I can change (and break) anything I want. It isn't like it is iOS or Windows 8 RT, or even Android.

There is Lubuntu or Xubuntu for something more simplistic.

I had been a KDE fan the whole time and just recently went in the Ubuntu direction without the K. I like the KDE desktop but it does not integrate as well with the hardware on several of my portables. I actually have become a big FAN of the Ubuntu. It runs on my Asus EEEPC's 701, 901, 1201T, EEEBOX 202, OQO 02 and even my MacBook Air on a fast USB 3.0 Pen Drive. Aside from the latter two devices, it just installed simply... and ran FOR FREE.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    If you want an organization that commits to releases on a fixed schedule, that commits to a certain level of support for customers who pay for that support, that commits to certain professional standards, then that organization needs to be able to replenish the resources it uses to meet those commitments. In this world, those kind of resources are bought and sold for cash.

All-volunteer distributions, like Debian, cannot make a commitment to release on a fixed schedule, and perhaps none of the other commitments.
    That fixed schedule is my one single complaint about Ubuntu. Ready or not it must be released on a certain date and I think doing so has harmed its reputation, and it's the reason so many of us "casual users" stick to the LTS releases until they outlive their support before reluctantly upgrading to the next LTS.

For testers and tweakers and tinkerers, the regular releases are probably a lot of fun. But they're already using "development releases" of Ubuntu long before they are officially released. Aiming a distro at Windows users and other novices, then loading it up with beta software and using these newbies as unwitting and unwilling beta testers is not helping Canonical achieve it's goals.

But it looks like they may be addressing that issue, finally, using LTS releases as "stable" and openly marketing the other releases for what they really are: Trial versions for beta testers.

Beans

i got censored on ubuntuforums.org cause writing against unity.

the ubuntu credo is easy and no configurabele look&feel (against kde ...) - now unity - even when updating grub2 > that doesn't fit

ubuntu feels more leaded by commercial.

It wastes electr. power.

The standard-ubuntu targets to high-end pc

this is actually not the trend needed. small mobile devices, ecology, bad infrastructure, business-costumer, poorer countries, ... have other needs

i couldn t find any innovation since about 6 years

only firefox is up to date - after problems for years and after mozilla fixing it by publish long-term-versions
    many progs using versions no more supported - i can not imagine this is very safe - sometimes this may be a good decision but
    often this hard dogmatic ... see firefox

In Germany there is a very god community/wiki (ubuntuusers.de) witch solves most problems, but this problems often don' t get solved by ubuntu - it is only a workaround - without it wouldn t be useable

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Posting blind on the topic only.

NO it hasn't. Lol.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

I think it has lost it's ubuntu, for precisely the same reasons mentioned by the OP.
    That's not to say that it isn't still a great OS, because it is.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast