Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Ubuntu lost it's Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Has Ubuntu lost it's Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by aktiwers View Post
    I completely agree - a few years back everyone would have flipped out if they put Amazon and Yahoo search/spyware in our OS.

Someone here said Ubuntu is a business and need to make money. I remember an Ubuntu that lived from the yearly donations by Shuttleworth, and was set out to fix Bug nr. 1 (which has been fixed apparently). Profit and business was not the priority, but community and quality software. This is sadly over.

I can't customize anything in Unity and the last two Ubuntu releases are the buggiest I have ever used.
    Why should Shuttleworth be expected to subsidize Ubuntu, and every Ubuntu user, out of pocket? Resources have to be replenished, no matter where they come from.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Why should Shuttleworth be expected to subsidize Ubuntu, and every Ubuntu user, out of pocket? Resources have to be replenished, no matter where they come from.
    Did I say that?
    I said the reason the project started was partly because of these values, and would it get big..? GREAT, if not, we might loose the money in the future or find another solution.

The other solution, or the path that Ubuntu seams to be going, reminds me of many of the problems in bug nr. 1.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    There is just one thing you cannot customize, which is the position of the Unity launcher...
    The less customization I have to do, the better. On Ubuntu, I switch to Radiance, install a wallpaper image, move the window controls to the right, turn off animation, and I am done.

The dock, aka Launcher, is where I'd put it anyway: on the left.

The one thing I wish Unity would do is inherit the automatic work space creation and deletion functionality from Gnome Shell. The "traditional" way to handle work spaces is more work.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aktiwers View Post
    Did I say that?
    "I remember an Ubuntu that lived from the yearly donations by Shuttleworth... sadly over."

Beans

"I remember an Ubuntu that lived from the yearly donations by Shuttleworth... sadly over."
    I didn't say I expected him to keep donating, but I did expect him to keep up the values of Ubuntu for human beings.

Nevermind.

Beans

I admit I have no idea what that means.

I suppose it means they're more 'community' than 'commercial'.
    Quite why i missed out Kubuntu i can't say.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I think Ubuntu is still for Human Beings! Why because even though it is being led by a corporate entity do not forget that it is still open source. Open for anyone to change to their likes. It may mean that you need to know coding etc. It is still open source and changeable by you the user. For me I like where they are going. I am not a coder and can barely hold my own on the terminal ( I have learned a lot and need to go much further.) But it needs support and if people truly paid for what they got it would probably be a fairly wealthy adventure. Those that finance it, support it or contribute to it should get to dictate what and where it goes. I have used ubuntu since release 8.10 and I much prefer version 12.04. Ubuntu does need to keep up with development and that means changes. If you are like me and have a family you can ill afford to pay bucks for the computer and more for the greedy unusable paid for software. Ubuntu works for me and my family it's free. The day Ubuntu becomes paid for or becomes non-opensource is when I will stop using it.
    Last edited by farrinux; July 6th, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
    Why aren't you on #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net?
    Answers and Howtos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I am only usin Ubuntu since Meerkat, 10.10, n i agree with Dragonbite, it is somewhat more corporate, it smells more corporate, looks more corporate, feels more corporate...
    There was a review of an Ubuntu phone in one of our weeklies in, Kolkata, India, which said, & i nearly quote: "just imagine u hav to tell ur friends, I use Ubuntu phone, sounds stupid!"

I was enraged.

But maybe there were a lot of reviews like this, n these r what is being addressed by Canonical by making changes to the look n feel of Ubuntu...

I am using Ubuntu Studio n I like it, enjoy it n am tryin to get all my friends to hav a look at Ubuntu!!!
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh 'Buntu-ishi krimpatul
    !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bhattabhishek View Post
    There was a review of an Ubuntu phone in one of our weeklies in, Kolkata, India, which said, & i nearly quote: "just imagine u hav to tell ur friends, I use Ubuntu phone, sounds stupid!"
    Let me guess: the author of the said review was 13 years old.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Let me guess: the author of the said review was 13 years old.
    Nah, the review was by a man, in his forties mayb.... n dont undermine it, it came up in an weekly subscribed by nearly 0.5 million ....
    a 13 yr old , by my understanding is far more savvy about these in general....
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh 'Buntu-ishi krimpatul
    !

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast