Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syncing a Windows laptop with a Linux server over the web

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Syncing a Windows laptop with a Linux server over the web

Here is my situation: I have a home server running Linux, I have a VPS in a database somewhere in The netherlands running Linux, I have a laptop running Windows. I wrote a script which syncs a folder on my home server with a folder on my VPS bidirectionally. I now need to figure out how to sync a folder on my Windows laptop to that synced folder on my VPS over the Internet. That way all of my documents are always in sync with my home network, no matter where I am.

Does anyone know of an application that allows me to do this (preferrably via a secure connection)? I've used ownCloud for a while to test it out, but that seemed rather slow and doesnt allow my to sync files between my two servers. It also has it's own file structure, which isn't preferred.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Syncing a Windows laptop with a Linux server over the web

This might help: http://www.cygwin.com/

I haven't used it, but I think you can run rsync and sync the files that way.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

it would be helpful f you explained how your script does its syncing, so we know what we're talking about.

rsync ? there are rsync implementations for windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Keep it simple, install Dropbox for Ubuntu and Windows and be done with it.
    Overclocked HPML150 running Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'll have a look into Cygwin, thanks!

I was thinking it might also be possible to set up a WebDAV share on my VPS and connect to that with my laptop, then I can simply sync a folder on my laptop to the WebDAV share using DirSync Pro...

Dropbox is a no-go. I do not trust any organization/authority/third party with my documents. My data stays on my servers.

Beans

An OpenVPN tunnel to your VPS is another possibility to consider, or using something like WinSCP to transfer files over SSH. It's not a syncing solution, but if only a few files are being used, it's not that hard just to copy them manually.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    An OpenVPN tunnel to your VPS is another possibility to consider, or using something like WinSCP to transfer files over SSH. It's not a syncing solution, but if only a few files are being used, it's not that hard just to copy them manually.
    I found this in the WinSCP manual, but I have never used it, so I don't know how good it is.
    http://winscp.net/eng/docs/task_synchronize_full
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by MG2R View Post
    I'll have a look into Cygwin, thanks!

I was thinking it might also be possible to set up a WebDAV share on my VPS and connect to that with my laptop, then I can simply sync a folder on my laptop to the WebDAV share using DirSync Pro...

Dropbox is a no-go. I do not trust any organization/authority/third party with my documents. My data stays on my servers.
    Spideroak may be a more paletable option as the data is encrypted and they don't have access. It will also run on ubuntu server.

I use Dropbox for things I don't mind being visible/readable by others and Spideroak for those I am less keen on sharing.

Beans

For sure, the best way to sync files between a Ubuntu system and Windows/Mac is to use AeroFS . It has unlimited file syncing and doesn't use the cloud.
    ------
    Windows7x64 :: ASUS P5K-E :: ASUS Nvidia 8600 GT :: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz :: 4GB DDR2-800 :: 120GB SSD + 300GB RAID 1 :: Linux user since 1992

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I found this in the WinSCP manual, but I have never used it, so I don't know how good it is. http://winscp.net/eng/docs/task_synchronize_full
    That certainly looks promising, doesn't it, Charles? I've only used WinSCP a couple of times, mostly to help people on Windows post files to a web server. It's basically a standard two-window file manager with local and remote directory trees. It's a cinch to use if you are connecting to a machine where SSH is supported.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast