Thread: how can i mount .iso games in ubuntu

Beans

how can i mount .iso games in ubuntu

i was playing gta4, assasin's creed 3 and few other games on my laptop running windows 7 untill i completely switched over to ubuntu.....is there any way that i can mount .iso files like windows run the setup?.........install>play

i have wine but it works with .exe not .iso........so i would love to hear if there's any software like daemon tool in ubuntu with which i can mount .isos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: how can i mount .iso games in ubuntu

First you need to create a mount point (mkdir, which if in a path like /media/something you would need to use sudo mkdir). Then you loop mount the iso file:

Code:
    sudo mount -t iso9660 /path_to/some.iso /some_directory -o loop
    where /path_to/some.iso would be the full or relative path to the iso file and /some_directory is the mount point you created to mount it on. Then you can cd to that directory you mounted it on(or go to it with a file manager) and could see setup.exe or whatever.

But I have never used wine, so I am not sure where you would want to mount it to have it accessible to wine. I just run Linux specific games, Linux Steam games, or OS independent java games like minecraft.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 550 Ti 32" 1080p | i7-4700, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M 15.6" 1080p | etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I suggest acetoneISO. Search for it in the software center. You can also run 'sudo apt-get install acetoneiso' in a terminal to install it. Makes mounting and unmounting iso's a breeze. After you install it just right click an iso file, select "properties", then "open with", then select acetoneISO from the list and set is as default. Then in the future when you want to mount an iso just left click on it and it will acetoneISO will automatically start and mount your image
    SYSTEM-Sony Vaio VPCF13YFX CPU-Intel 740Q M quad core GPU-Nvidia GeForce GT425M 1gb dedicated RAM-8gb crucial
    OS- Ubuntu 14.04, KxStudio 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What he said. AcetoneISO is the open-source version of the extremely wildly pirated Alcohol120% Windows program, which does the same thing for $$$, or is usually infected with malware. Reason #98947224542 for dumping Windows in favor of GNU/Linux.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I would suggest GMount-ISO. It is easy to use and even has an "unmount" button with it. You can install this via the terminal or the Software Center. Here is a link with instructions on how to use GMount-ISO.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/easy-way-o...in-ubuntu.html

Good luck!

Beans

Like others said try AcetoneISO I have used it before and its okay.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AbhimanyuAryan View Post
    i have wine but it works with .exe not .iso........so i would love to hear if there's any software like daemon tool in ubuntu with which i can mount .isos
    Take a look at CDEmu project. So far this is the only program I've found that is really close to DaemonTools in windows. The only program to actually emulate a physical optical drive, and also supports a lot of image formats like daemontools.

I have used (and keep using for various reasons) AcetoneISO, Gmount-ISO and many more, but all they do is to mount the iso so you can access the contents. The OS does not recognize these mounted images as "physical CDs". Only the images mounted on CDEmu drives were actually recognized as physical CDs.

For games, I have personally tested it successfully with a very old cd-based game "StarWars - Rogue Squadron". Its installer running in wine detected the iso as a cd only when mounted with cdemu, not with AcetoneISO or any other method, including the commandline way and some tweaking to make it appear as a physical cd.

PPA for installing CDEmu on Ubuntu : https://launchpad.net/~cdemu/+archive/ppa
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Verrrry interesting. I'd not heard of CDEmu, but I'm heading there now.

Boy, this is simply the best farking forum anywhere.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you'll need to see if those games work in wine otherwise theres no point in trying to mount an iso of a windows game
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted