Thread: ffmpeg list_devices has been removed apparently. Can devices be listed? How?

Beans

ffmpeg list_devices has been removed apparently. Can devices be listed? How?

ffmpeg's documentation:
    http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-devices.html#Examples-5

Says that
    ffmpeg -list_devices true -f dshow -i dummy

will list devices. But it doesn't
    Unrecognized option 'list_devices'

I'm trying to record my screen with sound, as in:
    http://qubodup.wordpress.com/2012/01...reen-on-linux/

which says:
    ffmpeg -f alsa -i pulse -f x11grab -acodec pcm_s16le -r 30 -s 1280x720 -i :0.0+1280x720 -vcodec libx264 -crf 0 -preset ultrafast -threads 0 out.mkv

but "-i pulse" isn't valid because "pulse" is not a device, even though pulseaudio is running. I wondered what devices were valid, and that's how I found out about the list_devices option, which has been removed.

Listing devices seems like a useful thing for a multimedia recorder/transcoder to do. Is it still possible?

Beans

Re: ffmpeg list_devices has been removed apparently. Can devices be listed? How?

I believe "-list_devices" is a private option for the dshow and openal input devices meaning that it is only used with those input devices. Please also show the complete ffmpeg console output for your encoding command and use the code tag so it displays nicely.

Beans

Re: ffmpeg list_devices has been removed apparently. Can devices be listed? How?

While I use an ffmpeg laucher that has various scripts (in the quicklists) for screen capture, your command isn't that different.
    Ex. of one with audio-
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    NOW=$(date +"%b-%d-%y-%H:%M")
    gnome-terminal --geometry=20X4  -x ffmpeg -f alsa -i pulse -f x11grab -r 24 -s 1280x800 -i :0.0 -c:v libx264 -preset ultrafast -crf 0 -c:a pcm_s16le  ./Videos/screens/$NOW.mkv
    What you do need to is do a one time setup of pulseaudio, there's likely a thread about that may describe how in detail & any variance for 'what you hear' vs. a mic.

In any event it needs to be done in pavucontrol, not sound setting. Basically just start ffmpeg recording with sound, then open pavucontrol > recordings & switch to the 'monitor of ...' option.
    You only need to do this once, from then on 'monitor of ..' will be auto-selected for ffmpeg ( at least the real FFmpeg
    screen shows
    (pavucontrol is not default installed on Ubuntu
    Attached Images Attached Images