Thread: OpenShot cuts of first 90sec or so upon File Import

Beans

OpenShot cuts of first 90sec or so upon File Import

I have an .ogv recorded with RecordMyDesktop, and when I use mplayer to view it it's lovely.

When I take the same file and Import it into OpenShot, it cuts off the first 90sec or so of the video (The audio imports correctly). I've tried a couple different OpenShot project profiles to no avail.

Beans

Re: OpenShot cuts of first 90sec or so upon File Import

A thread @ openshot forums:
    http://openshotusers.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=11&t=1456

Appears to be related. It afflicts only those who use RecordMyDesktop .ogv files in openshot.
    That's a lot of people though, isn't it?

I'm bummed because I spent quite awhile figuring out how to use RMyDesk and pulseaudio, etc. Can RMyDesk be set to save its output as something other than ogv? I have a 20+minute video that I'm converting to .webm (via ffmpeg) and it appears that it's going to take all day.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LeFou View Post
    I'm bummed because I spent quite awhile figuring out how to use RMyDesk and pulseaudio, etc.
    As long as you mentioned RecordMyDesktop, how in the world did you get it to record sound? There are lots of old threads on this, and they always involve installing mixer/controller/thingy x or y to control z.

This is like asking a monkey to do brain surgery. I don't even know if I have z. I have Precise and whatever comes with Ubuntu, but they change stuff like that more often than I change my socks. The only thing I know I have is alsamixer. But no idea whether poking the buttons on that in monkey fashion will get me sound in those RMD files. Any hints?

I have no clue as to how to handle your .ogv files, though. Lots of video editors will handle them, but which one works at any given moment is anyone's guess. On second thought, just start recording early and discard the first few seconds. That might be an easy workaround.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have you considered Cinelerra?

http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Have you considered Cinelerra?
    Yes, that is supposed to be able to record the desktop. It's a possibility, although it is also a complicated video editor, rather large for the task at hand. RecordMyDesktop is a nice, simple program that just records the desktop or a selection. And it used to work.