Thread: what is sudo tune2fs -c -1 /dev/sda1?

Beans

what is sudo tune2fs -c -1 /dev/sda1?

I don't know what "sudo tune2fs -c -1 /dev/sda1" use for???
    Last edited by aldrich199; June 23rd, 2013 at 11:01 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: what is sudo tune2fs -c -1 /dev/sda1?

From man tune2fs:

Code:
    DESCRIPTION
           tune2fs allows the  system  administrator  to  adjust  various  tunable
           filesystem  parameters  on  Linux ext2, ext3, or ext4 filesystems.  The
           current values of these options can be displayed by using the -l option
           to tune2fs(8) program, or by using the dumpe2fs(8) program.

The  device  specifier can either be a filename (i.e., /dev/sda1), or a
           LABEL or UUID specifier: "LABEL=volume-name"  or  "UUID=uuid".   (i.e.,
           LABEL=home or UUID=e40486c6-84d5-4f2f-b99c-032281799c9d).

OPTIONS
           -c max-mount-counts
                  Adjust  the  number of mounts after which the filesystem will be
                  checked by e2fsck(8).  If max-mount-counts is 0 or -1, the  num‐
                  ber  of  times  the filesystem is mounted will be disregarded by
                  e2fsck(8) and the kernel.

Staggering the mount-counts at which  filesystems  are  forcibly
                  checked  will  avoid  all  filesystems being checked at one time
                  when using journaled filesystems.

You should  strongly  consider  the  consequences  of  disabling
                  mount-count-dependent   checking  entirely.   Bad  disk  drives,
                  cables, memory, and kernel bugs could all corrupt  a  filesystem
                  without  marking  the  filesystem dirty or in error.  If you are
                  using journaling on your filesystem, your filesystem will  never
                  be marked dirty, so it will not normally be checked.  A filesys‐
                  tem error detected by the kernel will still force an fsck on the
                  next reboot, but it may already be too late to prevent data loss
                  at that point.

See also the -i option for time-dependent checking.
    Here, /dev/sda1 is the filesystem to tune.

Beans

Re: what is sudo tune2fs -c -1 /dev/sda1?

Thanks very informative!!