Thread: Boot and shutdown problem - Over ten minutes!

Beans

Re: Boot and shutdown problem - Over ten minutes!

I'm using Ubuntu version 12.04 and am not sure what caused it, maybe upgrade from terminal? Not sure. But anyway Iv'e attached a copy of my bootchart file. The system is taking like over ten minutes to boot and shutdown, no messages are displayed, just takes very long. Can anyone please help?

Ok maybe I exagerrated a little still 7.5 minutes is a long time.

Oh, sorry one more thing it wouldn't boot at all last week I had to boot from a live CD and run boot-repair to get it going again,I justed wonder if grub could still be damaged? Also I had to use a 12.10 CD and I have 12.04 innstalled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by howefield; January 24th, 2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans

There is very little information here to help work out what's going wrong. You probably need to take a look at the output of the dmesg command to see what messages are being output as the system boots up. The numbers in square brackets are times in seconds since boot, so you can work out what is happening just before the system pauses. You should also look at the contents of the file /var/log/boot.log
    That information might be sufficient to enable someone to help you. It could be a problem mounting a partition, or a networking delay or some such.

Beans

Ok thank you very much for the reply I have been working on this all day for almost a week thousands of searches ex.

Attached the results of both files. This is driving me nuts.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Check cifs network it can cause time consuming problems in both directions on mounting the network or on shutdown.
    To be sure that it is the problem unmount all cifs/samba mounts before doing shutdown.

Beans

Can you explain why cifs network would or may be my problem?

This is solved, I ended up wipeing the OS and reinstalling everything.
    Last edited by howefield; January 24th, 2017 at 04:36 PM. Reason: posts combined.