Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to all this fancy stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: New to all this fancy stuff

From the recovery console you can reset any password, including the password of any users in the sudo group: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

If you don't have the password, the best way to go is the recovery mode. If there is an account with sudo privileges (aka an admin account) of which they didn't give you the password, reset it using the link in this post. If you can't even find such an account, create one using the links in my previous post.

And indeed, a guest account doesn't let you do anything permanent.
    Last edited by Impavidus; June 24th, 2013 at 03:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's what I was going to suggest. That's assuming, of course, that they didn't encrypt the /home directory when they set up Ubuntu on the machine.

Really, they should have supplied you with the password for the administrator account. Without being able to elevate to superuser privileges, you can't add or remove programs, you can't update the system, and you can't even add a normal user.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Thanks guys. Looks like there's a few ways to do everything on these machines.
    Avatar emailed me with some possible username/password combos and one of them worked. I should probably change it now.

One more wuick question: I can either create "standard" new user or an "administrator" new user. I'm assuming the standard one should have sudo privilages and all that. Just wanted to double check with you guys, even though I'm sure I could change it or delete and make a new one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelocalypse View Post
    One more wuick question: I can either create "standard" new user or an "administrator" new user. I'm assuming the standard one should have sudo privilages and all that. Just wanted to double check with you guys, even though I'm sure I could change it or delete and make a new one.
    No. An administrator account has sudo privileges, and a standard account does not. As you are the one who will be performing administrative tasks, you want to set your account up as administrator. That way, you can install software and updates, etc. without having to log out and log back in.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Gracias mi amigo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

am still adapting to no spell check features.
    In Firefox right click in any text box that has at least two lines.
    Enable "Check spelling" and select your language or add dictionaries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12